What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

new to sarracenia

I'm new to carnivorous plants and recently bought a couple of sarracenia rhizome divisions. I got them a little less than a month ago and went ahead and potted them up. I had them sitting next to a window getting low light. When the weather warmed a bit ( it approached seventy once) I put them outside but then the weather plunged again (down to like 20 at night). I didn't want to kill them since they weren't winterized so I brought them back into the house. This time I put them under the fluorescents where I have my neps and they get about 15 to16 hours of light. Recently I have noticed that they are putting up flower buds. I'm thinking that its a bit early for this to be happening even if they were all early bloomers like flavas which I know at least one isn't. Now I don't know when to put them back outside since I have probably thrown them out of cycle. Should I just do it when danger of frost is over or wait till its warmer. I really don't want to lose the flowers or plants by getting them to cold now that they've started growing again. I also don't want to keep the plants inside when the light outside is so much better. Any Suggestions?

sounds normal to me. i have flower stalks on my rubra and 2 leucophylla. the tallest stalk is about 6 inches tall right now. just keep them nice and toasty inside as the cold may make the flower abort.

Alex

I guess looking around on the internet at what other people growing sarracenia have said its not really that early. However If I wanted to grow them outside in my region they probably wouldn't wake up for another month or so. So I'll probably keep them inside for a month and them transition them back outside.

I'd keep them in too for the time being. The weathers just warming up here to a low of 5C at night and day temps of over 13C so my sarrs are just starting to get growing again.

Back