What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flower Count '08

Est

War. War never changes.
Staff member
Well, this is normally a topic that Bugweed would make, but in his absence guess it's up to someone else. Since I'm hearing more talk of dormancy ending and flowers coming up I figure now's a good time to get this show on the road!

So folks, what's your count for the season? Also, which plant is your big flowerer? Feel free to do updates, no need to only post once they're all out.

Heck, I don't even know what my count is at right now. However, I DO know that my top flowerer at the moment is a location S. areolata with 25 flowers coming up at the moment. lol Time for division, maybe?

Good growing to you all, may you shatter your previous records!

1 bud of Leuco Tarnok so far!

I've got 2... and I just received the plants a few weeks ago.

DCP_2059.jpg

2 from my S. oreo 'Alabama' so far.

4 - S. flava
5 - S. leucophylla #1
3 - S. leucophylla #2
6 - S. 'Tarnok'
2 - S. "Dana's Delight"

I didn't count.. but here are some camera phone pictures from this morning...
Andrew

1 on rubra. 2 on leuco 'Red' and 1 on the typical leuco. this is my first time having flowers. i cant wait!!

Alex

50+ so far, none are open yet, so not worth taking photos of em.

7 Unidentified
3 Flava
1 Rubra

More expected from leucophylla and readii.

Man, quite a few of mine are in full bloom or are already done (i know, I am a couple of weeks ahead) anyway, .... here are a couple photos I took from the past weeks.

2318888961_0c403dbc1e.jpg

this one is crossed with the "willisii" that is circulated with the leuco in it, still, it's, a nice plant.

2307169320_7d560e8e04.jpg

wow- that first one is very cool looking rco!! So far I have yellow ones (flava) and one is white (flava hybrid)

none yet but I do have new pitchers forming,I am hoping some will flower soon.

they flower before they pitcher. so if you already have pitchers...then no flower.

Alex

they flower before they pitcher. so if you already have pitchers...then no flower.

In my experience, while most flowers arise before you see significant pitcher growth, a good amount of the time I have flowers that arise with the pitchers and even for a while after (discluding those flowers that come up at seemingly random times in the growing season and beyond.) So I wouldn't call it "too late" quite yet!

Alright, finally managed to get a count in: Looks like the current is 67 flowers! Yay!

I'm worried because I'm already at 67 and I'm not even seeing many on the S. rubra Ancestral yet. 0_o Oh boy.

some of htem ahve pitchers and some dont have any yet so about 3 of my sarracenia aren't going to flowering but there is still a chance for my others.

Alex

Sarracenia oreophila usually flowers at the same time as the pitchers open (I assume because it has to get everything done in spring before the soil dries out).

Sarracenia psittacina tends to flower late, after some pitcher growth, but the flowers are too far away from the pitchers to cause any problems.

And S. minor flowers after the pitchers have opened for some reason!

Took a quick count today... I am at 127 flower buds right now. Probably will have more in the near future, not all of them are budding at the moment.

Cheers
Steve

No, Sarracenia flowers are structured so that self-pollination is not likely to occur. They are even designed to prevent insects pollinating from the same flower.

"Self" pollinated Sarracenia generally produce weak seed sets and less vigorous offspring.

Back