What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help with Darlingtonia...

kath

Katherine
Hi! I'm really excited because I recently purchased a packet of Darlingtonia seeds - but I have NO idea what to do from there! I'm nervous and scared too...

(Me) :-D :0o: :-( :-O :boogie: :crazy: :help: :scratch: :down: :love: :p :crap: :oops:

As you can see I'm going through a very emotional time

I've sort of ordered the seeds, so I have this week before they arrive. I plan to begin germinating straight away with a few seeds, depending on how many there are. I'm planning on 'rationing' the seeds, in case some don't survive, and I'm going to refrigerate the rest so they'll keep.

Other than that I'm lost, so I beseech you...please if you have any info to help me I'll appreciate it forever! The seeds only cost me 12.50$ + 1.00$ postage, NZ dollars, so I'm pretty happy, and not to fussed if it doesn't all work out-but I really want it to! This might be my ONLY chance to get a Darlingtonia, they're very expensive here in NZ, and these seeds are a rare deal!

So, hee's a few, well a lot of starting questions!

1. I know I have to stratfiy the seeds, but for how long is best?

2. Under what conditions should I stratify?

3. What temp should the fridge ideally be at, what temp is best, what the minimum/maximum temp?

4. Do they need to be on media, or paper, or just in a bag?

5. Is a jar best or a bag. Should the bag/jar be see-through or inclosed?

6.Will the refrigerator light be a trouble - do they need light whilst stratfiying?

7. How do I prepare the seeds for stratifying?

8. What can go wrong and what should I do if it does?

9. Is fungicide necesary? What fungicide? How much? What NZ one can I use?

10. Do they need to have water?

11. Will the air in the bag going stale be a problem?

12. How many seeds is best to try at a time?

13. What do I do when the stratifying times over?

14. How do I care for the unborn seedlings so they'll germinate?

15. What's the likelihood of them germinating for me?

16. How do I water the seedlings, do I need a terrarium for constant heat, humidity?

17. What temps are best for the seedlings/seeds?

18. How long should I wait before starting to give up hope if they don't germinate?

19. How much water do the seedlings need, how much light, how do I get the right humdity?

20. How fast will they grow if they germinate?

21. Once they germinate, then what? (Bsically all of the above questions, but for when they're actually seedlings-do they need different care, if so what? When should I acclimistise them etc.)

22. How do you grow your plant?

Thank you so much if you answer! Sorry about all the questions-I really wanna get this right! :sorry:

Not sure if this answers all of the above BUT ...

Stratify the seeds for 4 - 6 weeks either in the fridge or outside.

If using the fridge place seeds in a waterproof container and add either damp tissue paper or damp spag moss.

After the 4 - 6 weeks is over take the seeds and sprinkle them over some safe peat.

Place in a warm sunny position and wait for anything upto 4 - 6 weeks.

Keep the soil damp by placing it in a tray of rain water.

It really is that simple ???

I think I found someone with more questions to ask than me! Darlingtonia, being similar to Sarracenia, I put seeds in small, plastic gumball containers, in water, and placed in the butter keeper of the fridge for about 6 weeks. I used no fungicide. Ity doesn't matter what you use, as long as it hold water and is sealed and cold.

Then I spread the seeds on the surface of prepares pots of LFS and kept covered, by a window. A couple weeks later the seeds began germinating. After a few days I removed the cover and have been letting them get as much light as possible, keeping moist but not too wet, so as to avoid damp-off.

I found getting them to germinate was easy but after that the problems started with them damping off. Only sow a few seeds in each pot as they hate being moved. Most of mine died when I moved them. Now I only have one seedling left and its growing real slow. Also the pot its in is full of D capensis seedlings.

So Jim you cover your pots? Is that when they are inside? What about when the pot is outside?

I think I heard somewhere that once harvested, you should put them in the refrigerator for an entire year until the next spring. Is this true?

Got no idea.. I know they lose viability quickly, so unless you're sowing right away you should refrigerate them dryly. But I think sowing right away if they'll survive is best...

I only cover them for germinating. I'm reluctant to take pitcher plant / Darlingtonia seedlings outside. I'd rather harden them off inside for the first year.

Well I was gonna use the natural way outside. They are outside in the snow now to stratify, and hopefully they will be better off with the sunlight to grow.

You can try it. i've just had too many disasters with seedlings, butterworts, and downpours.

Maybe I'll try them in a window. No space for more light set-ups.

providing they have cover from the elements, heavy rain and wind, there is no reason why you cant germinate and grow seedlings outside.

Most Europeans do so without problem so you guys in the states should be able to :)

Back