What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3 heliamphora pics (large file size)

I just like this pic, a mother with twins came to mind :)

motherwithtwins.jpg

and a couple of my H. heterodoxa x minor that has a case of "the big head"

helihybrid.jpg

helihybrid2.jpg

thanks for looking,
Av

totally wicked B! WOW! Damn! those things are truly re-defining tanning in plants. Sheesh! its blood red in the exact definition of the word. ;)

Nice. I really like your H. 'Tequila' clone. It's much more elegant than my clone.

Do you know what I did the other day? I divided my plant a couple of months ago, and only recently has it made pitchers again. It has two of the tallest pitchers it had ever made. They were PERFECT, and had only opened two days ago. What do I do? I drop an acrylic sheet on them and ruined everything above the slit. C'est la vie. Lesson learned.

Very Nice Plants!!

What's the humidity they are growing in?

thx for the kind words all :)

owie, I know that hurt Clint.... Ive broken nectar spoons off while watering before. It definitely smacks ya in the face and says "you big dummy" LOL

Since you sent me an example of your clone I have noticed a lot of diffs... structure, color, growth....both are very beautiful, but it would seem like there are more then enough diffs for them to be considered two totally different cultivars to me

I don't understand how 5 such diff variants can all be classified as one cultivar... or why would anyone would intentionally "muddy the genetic waters" when bringing a cultivar to market.

humidity usually goes from 45 to 85% during the day/night photo period, sometimes a little higher on both ends if it is raining outside or a little lower if it is very cold and dry outside

temps run from low 70's to mid 50's during the same time period

cypress based mix

Av

It's not a cultivar, it's a grex. You can't have five different clones and call them all by the same epithet. You can have a cultivar group, but this is not that. It's confusing when people put single quotation marks around the epithet, or even worse flat out call it a cultivar. I'm guilty of that, myself! The cultivar system for CP's is a joke (It seems as if you're Dionaea looks particularly good one year, it can be registered as a cultivar!), and we don't even HAVE a registry for greges.

geeze.... I had to go to the FAQ to see what a grex is, and im not really sure i know now LOL

I'm still not clear on what is the diff between a grex and a cultivar group and how is one suppose to properly identify these different flavors

please clarify :)

well then I'll unofficially name my specific cultivar as H. 'Dave's Tequila Sunrise' in honor of the person who originally gave it to me hehehehehehe

j/k ;)

It's just all of the offspring between two different species or hybrids (or a species and a hybrid).

A cultivar group is just different cultivars that share similar traits. If you had five different cultivars of Petunia with yellow flowers and variegated leaves, yet they were distinctive enough to be separate cultivars, that could be a cultivar group.

Right now, we have two schools of though. Technically, if you have a plant that's stable which happens to meet the description of a cultivar, then you can call it by the cultivar's name. There are plants that loom EXACTLY like D. 'Big Mouth' at Wal-mart, and technically you can call them D. 'Big Mouth'. Then there are people, like myself, that think that's stupid. In my opinion, if a plant is not genetically identical to the cultivar, then it is not that cultivar.

They want to make a grex registry for Nepenthes. I think it's great. Do it with Sarracenia, too. We'll be more respectable, like orchid growers. Some want to have an "Expert" panel, but I think that's a bad idea for several reason, not to mention pretentious. Profoundly so.

I will use an example from the orchid world. There is a hybrid cannled Colm. Wildcatt Now that is the grex. Because wildcatt is the name given to that particular cross used to make wildcatt. Now it is further broken down to cultivars of that particular grex. My plant is Colm. Wildcatt 'Ocelot' There are several different Wildcatts on the market. Many different cultivars.

Clint if I have that wrong let me know. I happen to agree with Clint. In order to be that cultivar it has to be geneticaly identical. Being TCed or a cutting of that plant.

The one problem that exists in the orchid world is the taxonimists want to reclassify orchids. So the example I use earlier with Colm is not Colm anymore because one of the plants got reclassified. Good thing with nepenthes though is there is only one nepenthes. LOL

Hmm... I don't think they have to be from the same grex, or even the same species, but I could be wrong.

I'll unofficially name my specific cultivar as H. 'Dave's Tequila Sunrise' in honor of the person who originally gave it to me hehehehehehe
j/k ;)

I am honored. I'll go change the labels on mine right now. ;)

Those pitchers are really looking good; nice red color!

confusing... so H. Tequila should not be in quotes cause it is a grex

and using my example the correct way to say it as a cultivar would be:

H. Tequila 'Dave's Tequila Sunrise" (prob cant use tequila twice Im guessing)

or

H. (AxB) 'Dave's Tequila Sunrise'

so all grex's actually cultivated complex/simple hybrids which may or may not include "sub" cultivars?

but do the members of a grex all have to originate from the same exact genetic stock?

after reading up a little I think I have the jist of it all, but quantum mechanics seems much easier to me LOL...

YW Dave, heck why dont we, you deserve it and it is a beautiful errrr cultivar LOL

Av

Last edited:
IF it WAS a cultivar, and was registered, you could do that (dunno about using Tequila twice) but it's not.

I don't know what you mean by "sub cultivar". Every seedling resulting from a hybrid cross is considered part of the grex, no matter how weak or ugly they are.

You mention the same stock. I don't know what you mean by that. Do you mean if you crossed two plants, then I crossed the same two clones , would the be the same grex? I think so. If I crossed the same species/hybrids, but with different origins and genes, would they be called the same grex? I don't know. I'm new to this, too. I think if you, or I, or anyone else reproduced the hybrids EP did, they would be called the same thing.

Thanks Clint :hail:

yes, by "same stock" I was asking if the members of a grex all originate from the exact same parent plants or more widely the result of the same hybrid combination..

and by "sub" cultivar, individual members of the grex may or may not contain their own cultivars

The idea of a cultivar not having to be a TC or genetic clone of the original just doesn't seem right...

that's just wrong on several levels.. some of this seems so counterintuitive

Av

Back