What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any hope for these Sarrs?

Some of my rhizomes have needed to have their dead leaves completely removed and the brown mush cut away. Now I have a green-less rhizome (actually, about 3 of them) and was wondering if there is hope for them? With no leaves for photosynthesis, will they stand a chance at growing? So far they are saying "no, we're just going to die" but haven't decided for sure just yet.

Hi ilbasso! - any photos? Is there any white on the rhizome? Is the whole rhizome "mush"? I've stripped some rhizomes bare before leaving a green-less growpoint and the plants turned out fine for me...

Providing the rhizome is healthy you will have no problems. There are such things as rhizome cuttings for a reason :D These consist of a rhizome and no or very little roots.

That's what I figured, but do not seem to be having much luck. I'll just keep monitoring them.

Chances are they'll sit there for a couple of months before they produce some green growth. You'll just have to be patient I'm afraid.

Because of totipotency, there are cells in every plant that have the genetic material to reproduce the entire plant. Kind of the same thing as stem cells in animals. Hormones will dictate the plants to produce leaves once again if it doesn't die. As long as some of the rhizome is there, as well as a good bit of root matter, it might not look beautiful or be vigorous next year but it should have stored food enough to grow.

Just powder the heck out of it with fungicide and whatnot and keep them in as sterile conditions as possible to prevent decay and other problems until they heal. Maybe even rub some rubbing alcohol over the cut zones too, though I don't know if that's good for CPs or not.

Back