What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cephalotus 'Hummer's Giant'

xvart

Doing it wrong until I do it right.
Staff member
I was inspired by the other Cephalotus pictures posted and thought I would share my little baby 'Hummer's Giant.' I got this babe a little while ago in a trade. You can see the large shriveled pitcher it came with.

DSCN3462.jpg

DSCN3463.jpg

Onward and upward!

xvart.

Last edited:
Very nice.

It took me a year to have mine settle - but that was from a source outside the U.S.

It is such a cute little ceph. it looks like it is happy though

Very Nice!

Thanks everyone. In a few years I hope it looks like some of the cephs that elgecko just posted recently... only bigger! lol, just kidding elgecko.

xvart.

Xvart, if I may ask, what are the growing conditions?

Phil

Xvart, if I may ask, what are the growing conditions?

Phil

Phil - just normal room temperatures most of the time. This time of year usually between 60 and 70 F, and the humidity is starting to rise again. Over winter, the humidity was between too low to be read by my hygrometer and 20%.

xvart.

Last edited:
Quick update: Not much has changed. Slow as usual, but still chugging along. You can see some size difference from the first picture (2 pitchers) and the new ones below. I've also bought a better camera since those pictures.

CephalotusHummersGiant1-42808.jpg

CephalotusHummersGiant2-42808.jpg

xvart.

awww its cute :3
i just discovered 2 new growth points on my adult HG.
im excited ^^

xvart, do you remove any of the dead parts? Or you just leave them on?

I am wondering because I would meticulously remove every bit of brown. :-))

Yeah, I would cut off the dead pitcher before it molds.

xvart, do you remove any of the dead parts? Or you just leave them on?

I am wondering because I would meticulously remove every bit of brown. :-))

Hi Cindy - Typically I would. On my typical that died back I went at it like a bandit; but, didn't go too deep because at the time, since the clump was so large and compact I was afraid I would accidentally cut some of the live growth. As for the 'Hummer's Giant,' I haven't yet, because the growth was still live for a while and I just haven't gotten around too it, yet. It's on my "to-do" list next time I get out the trimmers for my Nepenthes pitchers. I don't like the unsightly growth at all! Another problem is my scissors are too big for something so small, lol.

xvart.

uhg, scissors irritate me! lol.
use an old pair of nose-hair trimmers or somethin lol.
thats what i do for my baby typical.

A nice little surprise I just found:

CephHG1-82408.jpg

xvart.

Congrats! Good growing.

Wow! That's weird! But cool!

Are the new shoots emerging from a close-to-surface root??

Can cephs be shipped bare root without dying? - it seems like when I am looking for one, it can only be shipped bare root. I read that they have a very high chance of dying if they are.

As long as the sender takes care in shipping they'll be fine.

I received some baby cephs earlier this summer, the roots were wrapped in LFS which was then carefully placed in part of an empty toilet paper role to ensure they didn't get crushed during transit then enclosed in a ziplock baggie to maintain moisture. I received other plants as well and they were all boxed very carefully with shredded paper to act as a cushion and no problems. All my cephs have adjusted to their new growing conditions and are now putting out new baby pitchers.

As long as you're buying from a reputable grower/member I'm sure the plants will be boxed with care.

Can cephs be shipped bare root without dying? - it seems like when I am looking for one, it can only be shipped bare root. I read that they have a very high chance of dying if they are.

I have received Cephalotus in that form for years without any real incident -- save for an occasion where there was an unforeseen delay in US Customs (which was happily resolved). The plants are not remotely as fragile as many would have you believe, just like the misguided view still held of Heliamphora. Simply handle the plants carefully upon arrival and have the appropriate compost on hand. In the past, I have used Superthrive (which claims to promise everything but peace to the Middle East and a more viable replacement for rhino horn) on half of them and nothing on the remainder -- with no difference in results . . .

CF--HGB.jpg

cool little plant! Mine got eaten (most of the plant) by a TINY inchworm! :cry:

Back