What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

S. Minor problem...

Someone gave me this plant in a trade (thx!!) but the pitchers lean heavily toward the ground. The majority of the pitchers are at least 6-7" or more. The point from which they spring is very thin. Anybody experience this?

leaning pitchers

This would happen to me sometimes right after I moved a plant (i.e. shipped, repotted, divided, etc.). If the new pitchers keep doing the same thing I would repot it in 100% live sphagnum to avoid a fungus or bacteria infection. If it already is in that then I would increase the light.

Do the pitchers have a lot of bugs inside them?
Sometimes, due to their gluttonous nature, they can't support their own weight in food.
-matt

Adam-

Sarracenia minor is a glutton for intense amounts of sunlight. When you think you have given it enough...give it more! The pitchers should feel like tough plastic. Also, I have found with all of the S. minor I have grown that the rhizomes like to bury themselves deeper than most Sarrs. You almost never see the rhizomes or growth points at or above the soil level. The pitchers are always very sturdy and rigid, even in very strong wind. It's not a recommendation...just an observation.

Phil

They are inside as of now. Right now its too cold i think (50's). If I'm wrong they are goin outside!
There are no bugs in the pitchers. I was thinking of buy a d. hydei culture to feed them (large fruit flies about 1/8"). I'm suire its the ligh as 2 people have told me and that makes perfect sense. So now are 50's too cold for sarrs? I know it should be better but its just starting to warm up.

50s are fine, Mine are just breaking dormancy outside, some days are in the 30s, some in the 70s, and we will probably still have a frost or two.

However, if the plant has been in side it will be very tender. Protect it from excess wind at first. Even though it wants a lot of sun, adjust it gradually to more sun over a period of a week or two, else it will sunburn. If you put it in a protected spot, like against a south wall of a house, it may actually be much warmer than the ambient air temperature.

Think of Mid-Florida weather ;). In winter it can get to the 50s, so it's fine and they probably love heat in the 90s.

Back