What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any way to tell if my Sarracenia's done for?

We've had something of a brutal spring here in central IL (temperatures hovering below 40), but those sorts of days come unexpectedly. When I went home for spring break, I took the insulation off of my sarracenia, a judith hindle hybrid. Over the course of that week, we had a rain then a frost, followed by several days of sub-freezing temperatures. I came back to find the plant sitting in ice-cold water, looking very miserable. I repotted it and warmed the peat by running room-temp water through the pot several times. I'm wondering if there's a way to tell whether or not the rhizome is through. Does anyone have any tips they can share? Thanks!

The best way to tell if its alive or not is...just wait.
leave it alone, if its alive, it will start growing in a few weeks to a month,
if not..well, it happens to all of us!

and warmed the peat by running room-temp water through the pot several times.

not a good idea..that shocks the plant with sudden temp increase.
it would have been much better to just leave it alone sitting in the cold water.
but it probably didnt hurt much either..
its just not necessary, and can do more harm than good.

all you can do is wait..you will hurt its chances if you poke and prod it.
just leave it alone! ;)

Scot

You gave it dormancy, right? If you didn't, the cold weather might have activated it then.

I've got a similar question related to this thread. I've been growing Sarras for a long time and never had this happen.

I just purchased a S. purp var. burkii and planted it rather quickly when I was in a hurry. The roots were rapped in long fibered sphagnum. I just potted the LFS and everything up into a pot of peat moss/sand/perlite on the tray method. Came back a week later and the bud was no longer green rather it was brown. I knew instantly that it had rotted. Today I pulled everything out got rid of the LFS and soaked it in DI/superthrive. Then, I got my sharp knife and cut off the the rotted chunk of rhizome until I hit white healthy rhizome. Next, I notched the rhizome in 3 different places since it had healthy roots and repotted it in peat/sand. Has this ever happened ot anyone? It was just about my only choice since I did not want to lose my only burk. Hope it works.

It happens. All you can do is trim back to the white part.

Throw away the Superthrive - it does jack sh**

That all depends on who you talk to.

V

You shouldn't have trimmed back ALL of the leaves on the Purp in my opinion. Since it's a slower growing Sarr it needs the extra energy from the sun.
However, if every single one of them was brown, then you made a good choice.
-Matt

HE stabbed asi? are you a survivor fan? hahaha :))
don't even know if thats the correct spelling of his name.

You shouldn't have trimmed back ALL of the leaves on the Purp in my opinion. Since it's a slower growing Sarr it needs the extra energy from the sun.
However, if every single one of them was brown, then you made a good choice.
-Matt

Yeah it had no leaves when I got it. A pretty nice sized rhizome division with only one growth point. Trimming away the rotten part was my only choice. Just hope it works.

V

Back