What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

fungicide for stratification of sarracenia seed?

Hey, does anyone know where I can find neem oil or a sulphur based fungicide? and does anybody know any brand name products they have used with success???
Thanks!

I don't think you even need fungicide for Sarracenia seeds.

well if they are going to be in the fridge in a moist paper towel for eight weeks they might need some.. I want to use gibberellic acid but I heard a really experienced nursery say it wasn't good and that the seedlings aren't as robust.
so back to the topic what are my options what have you used?

I don't know, but the Savage Garden says they're suspectible for damp-off diseases. See if that helps. Good luck ;)

mine did fine in the fridge without fungicide. paper towel(the way you told me to fold it). dropped most on the carpet though ><

mine did fine in the fridge without fungicide. paper towel(the way you told me to fold it). dropped most on the carpet though ><

I gave you instructions on how to stratify D. capensis seed? :scratch:
D. capensis is tropical and it doesn't require stratification.

Four weeks is all you need for most Sarracenia seeds. 6 weeks works better for S. purpurea. "Institution" type paper towels (the kind you find in public restrooms) seem to not get as moldy as the stuff you buy in rolls - perhaps they use more bleach in the paper or something.

Refer to Aaron Ellison's article in the American Journal of Botany INTERSPECIFIC AND INTRASPECIFIC VARIATION IN SEED SIZE AND GERMINATION REQUIREMENTS OF SARRACENIA (SARRACENIACEAE)

Why not use damp chopped long fiber sphagnum which has its own anti-fungal properties? It's even sold as "NoDampOff"

If seed goes moldy whilst stratifying in the fridge, it's usually dead in the first place.

I've never had any fungus problems on seeds in the fridge.

I've had seeds in bubblegum containers with water, in the butter keeper of the fridge. I had 10 of them there this winter. I used no chemicals and sowed in small pots of LFS. I had no mold or dampoff, even when the seedlngs were saturated - but exposed to the air. Isn't that pretty much what they experience in nature?

I use cinnamon to help prevent mold and fungus when stratifying on a damp paper towel. It seems to work well.

This is a little off topic but is stratifying with a wet paper towel the best thing that works for you guys? i was wondering if I should or put seeds on a moist pot of their peferred media and put in the fridge (when I do get seeds which will be like in a year or two XD).

Thanks I did hear about using paper towels from public bathrooms becuase they don't mold as well. Great for sending plants bareroot. I'm out of LFS and I might consider ga3 as I don't want to wait two months to stratify my seed I want to give it a headstart or start the seedlings under flourescents and skip there first or second dormancy.
The species is oreophila and I did not order the seed nor do I yet have viable seed.
so the seed can't go moldy to start with.
so how long should I stratify oreo seed for max germination?

I use wet kitchen roll wrapped in foil. It's much easier than using pots (for space reasons) and moss as it's hard to find the seeds after that way.

I use 5 weeks for every sarracenia species and get good germination rates.

I use cinnamon to help prevent mold and fungus when stratifying on a damp paper towel. It seems to work well.

Reminds me of that episode of the Simpsons where Homer wants to buy Lisa's rock, which is designed to keep tigers away!

do you just sprinkle it lightly over the papertowel?

Yep. I just take a couple pinches, depending on the size of the paper towel, and sprinkle it mainly over the seeds and in a small area around the seeds. I've found that the edges of the paper towel will sometimes get moldy, but it never moves to where the cinnamon is sprinkled.

HTH,
Crystal

I never cold stratify any more, it is a pain. I soak Sarracenia seeds for 24 hrs in a GA3 solution, i have had great viability, and it is a whole lot easier than the paper towel trick, not to mention 4 weeks and 6 days faster.

Back