What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NeciFiX

Kung Fu Fighting!
My Cephalotus recently lost 2-3 pitchers, and has put 3 in their place, it's starting to clump. Amongst this clump I'm noticing a lot of things I haven't seen before, smaller mature pitchers sort of hidden, a few non-carnivorous green leaves below it all, and, something else.

I noticed a very, very fuzzy knob poking out amongst the clump, 150% more fuzzier than the most fuzzy thing my plant has produced, and, it has 3 very, very, very tiny non-carnivorous looking leaves going around it in a circle. Does this sound like a flower stalk? Or a deformation? Or a unusually furry pitcher? Honestly, waiting a week or two more would yield somewhat better results but I'd like to know what you think. I hear flower stalks on Cephalotus are rare? So, I don't know why my Cephalotus I've had for almost 1.5 years decided to suddenly form a flower stalk. It had just switched to mature pitchers when I got it and it had only 5. Now it's a clump, in a 5 inch pot as I got it (I plan to re-pot it at the "2 year mark", just to give the roots more space I guess, or, should I wait till year 3?), on a slight mound, with peat and perlite mix. I let it get airy-dry before giving the soil a small flood in order to get all the soil a good bit damp, the plant doesn't seem to mind this cycle, in fact, it seems to like it? (I do that mainly to help prevent root-rot, I'm no techno-genius but I always thought things need to be quite wet, and for a long while for things to rot) Nothing special. Normal room humidity (which, it's very happy with) and in a very well lit window and it has red pitchers (in the summer, the pitchers are flushed in pink/light red, but, in the winter they're more fiery red, probably the reflection of the snow on the roof?). Should I be proud my plant is doing this? Or concerned as I may have to cut it off? Or should I be both? Hmm. Re-reading what I put on it's conditions would surprise even me if I heard that from someone! But, it's doing very good, so...

I really hope it isn't flowering... I guess. Taking care of these things can be so tedious, and, I heard that flowering makes the slow plant grow even slower (mine grows faster than people say Cephalotus say, or, so it seems, I check on it every 2 days or so). And I'm absolutely no good with seed. It's a German Giant clone, It has 1.5 inch pitchers (well, the biggest is about 1.5 inch, from the tip of the hood to the toe of the pitcher, the average pitcher is 1-1.3 inches. The bigger pitchers seem to come in the summer, but, they're not as colorful, and the more colorful, vibrant pitchers are usually a bit smaller than the summer ones)

I'd take a picture, not now though, I'm about to hit the sack. Perhaps tomorrow.

NeciFiX

Any ideas?

It sounds like your ceph is producing a offshoot.
pics please? and im no ceph expert so i dont know! but thats what i think it is
matt

Well, if it is trying to throw out a flower stalk; simply cut it off and save your Ceph some energy.

That's what I did with mine, I removed two stalks at once.

nah just let it flower this one time so you can see what they look like, get seed, and either trade it away or put it in the NASC auction! :D

Yeah, let it flower once so you can see what it looks like, it's pretty cool. The plant is so low and the flower stalk is extremely tall.

Well I just happen to be a Super Delegate, and my official vote is for "Chop-The-Flower".:thumbdown:

:-P-:

Anywho, I happen to cut all flower stalks on all my CP's now. VFT's, pings, dews, sarrs and cephs.

Here's what a Ceph flower looks like: (not my photo, credit to original owner/photographer)

Well, I'm sure it's not a pitcher. The little "tiny non carnivorous leaves" around it make it look very, very different. I'll wait a bit longer until I post a picture because at this point I don't think you could tell.

yeah, why cut them? they're the coolest parts-it's like "make-your-own-cp's"!

Neci, if you do cut it, DONT throw it away! Try and root it or something. I can send you a premade ceph culture err something TCish if youd like...just dont waste it! :)

P.s. how're ya doing man! long time no post! are you ok?

You could send your neighbor some seeds.

I know for sure now it's a flower stalk. Who says cut and who says save it for now? I only want to see it once if I do decide to let it flower.

Yay for cutting: 1
Nay: 3 (sort of, at least 2)

Image of stalk so far:
2008042622665rp0.jpg

I would try and get some ceph seeds.

I say cut it. But then I'm a party-pooper. ;)

What do you want to do with it? If you really want to see the flowers or make seeds, then leave it on. I don't think it'll slow the plant down too considerably bad.

What do you want to do with it? If you really want to see the flowers or make seeds, then leave it on. I don't think it'll slow the plant down too considerably bad.

Try and get seeds and to just see them :). Though, I'll only let it happen once. I think the slow down might be noticeable but not life threatening.

Try and get seeds and to just see them :). Though, I'll only let it happen once. I think the slow down might be noticeable but not life threatening.

Of course it won't be life threatening, since they do it frequently in the wild.

xvart.

Back