What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ah the joys of flava...

Pyro

N=R* fs fp ne fl fi fc L
So, with all the blooms I have coming up I am needing to store some of them for use on later blooms. One of these is the blooms off my flava rubricorpora... Anyone wanna guess how my fridge smells?? LOL :0o:

Probably like an apartment building with lots of cat owners.

uck- my greenhouse smelt sooo baaad when all my flavas were in bloom haha I always knew they smelt bad, but it was just this season that someone visiting mentiond it smelled like cat piss haha i mean :cuss: :p

And you would know what that smells like how, Bianchi?

S. flava is an acquired taste. I don't find it particularly horrible smelling; it's more of a musky odor. Like a ferret that's been peed on.

Lmao. It's one of those smells that smells bad, but you want to smell more of it for some reason lmao. Like.....gasoline or certain mushrooms or some cheese. I don't mean like huff it (because that's stupid), but I just like the smell of a gas station lmao.

I better shut up. I'm making myself look weird lmao. S. flava may have smelly flowers, but it more than makes up for it as a plant. It's got such size, a huge operculum, a nice developed peristome, is a fast grower, has a variety of color forms, and is great for hybridizing. S. flava x oreophila or the reciprocal is especially nice since they are similar to begin with. Using a more ornate form of S. oreophila like 'Sand Mountain' or particularly 'Don Schnell' and a plant like S. flava var rubricorpa or var. atropurpurea would make one awesome plant!

I don't mind it. Real cat pee is a lot sharper.

I love the smell of gasoline! It is one of those things that shouldn't smell good but is addictive! XD I also like how sharpies smell!

Sharpies just have that solvent smell. Nothing nice about it. Gasoline, on the other hand, smells REALLY good.

I honestly do not huff gasoline (or anything else) guys. I just like the smell of a gas station. It smells.... hearty?

I honestly do not huff gasoline (or anything else) guys. I just like the smell of a gas station. It smells.... hearty?

I'll second you on the gas station smell.

xvart.

i like the gas station smell too, as for the flava, i've never smelt one, never had any flowering size sarracenia before.

I like the scent of blueberry bagels in the morning.

(boy, did this topic take an odd turn..............)

Strong chemical smells of most any kind give me unimaginable headaches. I know what you mean about the smell of gas, though. It's... intriguing. I imagine that my impression of the smell of gas is similar to the feeling that compels dogs to roll around in stinky things.
~Joe

Gunpowder smoke has some appeal to me. I love going down to Chinatown during Chinese New Year's and smelling the smoke from all the firecrackers.

Not so pleasant in great quantities though if you read the accounts from the Napoleonic era.

The best is the smell of a really old garage/barn... probably a mix of gasoline/old wood/dust/dirt/maybe a dead mouse in the corner... the best!

I just like the smell of a gas station. It smells.... hearty?

Gasoline smell now reminds me of getting royally screwed for a gallon of gas(prices went up a dollar in a week, pffft.)

As for good smells, I'd have to say gunpowder is my favorite.

On with the flava, would the S. flava var. rugellii have the same smell?

~b

Back