What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

new H. tatei

arrived today...

new_tatei.jpg

wow, helis do come in green :0o:

hehehehehe I just couldnt resist, its a beautiful specimen
Av

Last edited:
Beautiful! Looks like it will produce some interesting adult pitchers.
-Matt

Very nice! What do you use to grow your Heliemphoras in? Could i see some pics of the grow conditions?

gorgeous! that'll look great when you grow it out!

can wait to see that one when you give it food coloring in it's water-I mean grow it under your amazing lights and techniques lol! :-))

Ugg you so lucky Av. Cant wait to see what it looks like grown up, thanks for sharin.

gorgeous! that'll look great when you grow it out!

can wait to see that one when you give it food coloring in it's water-I mean grow it under your amazing lights and techniques lol! :-))

geeze, now you gone and done it... now everybody knows :censor:

actually, its gamma radiation from a super nova in the delta quadrant :0o:

thanks all, i will post pics as it progresses... hope it produces a "stem" but not sure how i will deal with that using gamma radiati...err artificial lighting

bianchi914... cypress based mix, trichoderma, T5 lights, basement temps, mid-high humidity.. just search through my old postings, plenty of pics and details

jayson check your PM's
Av

wow! can't wait to see it in a few more months B! :)

Today :)
IMG_2068.jpg

IMG_2070.jpg

IMG_2071.jpg

IMG_2072.jpg

IMG_2073.jpg

IMG_2074.jpg

It turned out to be a very colorful, waxy form... very similar to Bill's waxy neblinae imho
Pitchers are very tall at 12" or so and very slim with a flared mouth

I have to wonder if this isnt one of the parents of Tequila

(before you wonder... I have lots of spiders in the basement, and excuse the residue... I sprayed everything with trich a couple days ago :) )

Gorgeous!!!
I like it! :D

:)

thank you liz, its a very colorful plant... and an easy grower
but its getting too freakin tall LOL

:drool:

/at a loss for words because of the nice color

@thez: how about: SUPERCALIFRAGILISTICEXPIALIDOCIOUS!?

wow, helis do come in green :0o:
... At least it stayed all green and didn't get any of that annoying red color so many of your plants adopt ... :-))

.... but its getting too freakin tall LOL
Sounds like you're keeping it from reaching it's true potential ...

From Barry's faq: "Heliamphora tatei--A giant that can make scrambling stems 1.5 meters tall (5 feet)! The green or greenish-red pitchers pitchers are also large---they are up to 50 cm tall (20 inches) tall"

ok. how about: HUFURHALIFUAGLEISPICEIGHTHPIALIDOTHOUS!?

Nice Pics, I like the pic as a young plant two years ago, kinda makes you proud of your children. . . I mean plants to see how much they've grown.

Very nice Heli AV :)
Is that the BE clone you were unsure as to its true ID? It looks more neblinae than tatei. My red waxy form neblinae might be a hybrid. Although brought from a different source I wonder whether the Red form of neblinae that wistuba sells is the same? My own wistuba red form is still very small but is now (finally) sending up a young adult pitcher. Both this and the red waxy form are much slower in growth than my two other neblinae.
How is your elongata getting along? My wistuba form brought 10 years ago is refusing to send up any adult growth!! I have just recently got myself an adult plant which was apparently collected in the 50's long before it was named!

Keep posting those photos!!

cheers

bill

How is your elongata getting along? My wistuba form brought 10 years ago is refusing to send up any adult growth!! I have just recently got myself an adult plant which was apparently collected in the 50's long before it was named!

Beautiful plants . . .

No kidding? I have a five year old H. elongata in the same condition and have heard similar stories from other growers.

Well, I guess that I am in for the long haul . . .

Very nice Heli AV :)
Is that the BE clone you were unsure as to its true ID? It looks more neblinae than tatei. My red waxy form neblinae might be a hybrid. Although brought from a different source I wonder whether the Red form of neblinae that wistuba sells is the same? My own wistuba red form is still very small but is now (finally) sending up a young adult pitcher. Both this and the red waxy form are much slower in growth than my two other neblinae.

Keep posting those photos!!

cheers

bill

Thanks everyone for the kind words,

Bill, im not so sure its tatei, but I'm not so sure it's neblinae either. Maybe a little of both LOL... Did you follow the tatei vs. neblinae discussion on the listserv a month or two ago?

This "tatei" is a very fast grower... and the inside of the pitchers did not show the wax until the got rather large. Prior to that they were wax free and pubescent on the inside. You can even see evidence of this in my pictures. The older, smaller pitchers are still showing the pubescent trait. While the tall, newer ones are glabrous and waxy on the interior.
My wistuba red (assumed) is already waxy and its just now producing adult pitchers.
So I dont know.... maybe not the same but closely related?

It also glabrous on the exterior... so I'm not so sure I would call it neblinae (per the listserv discussion)

There are conflicts between the historical, McPherson, Wistuba and Fleischman descriptions.

Until Fleicshman publishes his Heli genetic research everything is kind of in a holding pattern on these two species. But the new parva that has been recently released is definitely in compliance with his recent public comments on the subject.

My elongata just kinda hangs in there... has to be the specific clone we have.... or they need something radically different than what most everyone is doing., I just dunno... I have a glabra that is the same way... I just let them do their own thing anymore, if they wanna grow fine.... of not then oh well, I'll try a different plant one day.

are there anymore of these heirloom elongatas floating around?

---------- Post added at 03:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:55 PM ----------

:drool:

/at a loss for words because of the nice color

Thez, but you always told me that tatei was "icky pooh"

;)

My elongata just kinda hangs in there... has to be the specific clone we have.... or they need something radically different than what most everyone is doing., I just dunno... I have a glabra that is the same way... I just let them do their own thing anymore, if they wanna grow fine.... of not then oh well, I'll try a different plant one day.

are there anymore of these heirloom elongatas floating around?

Butch, my H.glabra finally kicked in with its adult leaves after four years of flipping me the bird; and when I get around to dividing it, you're on the top of that tepui . . .

Back