What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarracenia flower variability?

Hi y'all,

I've got some questions about variability in Sarracenia flowers, specifically, S. flava.

I have an S. flava maxima that bloomed for me for the first time this year, and the flower is a classic S. flava. It's large, brilliant yellow, and strongly scented. I also have an S. flava rugelli that's blooming for me with four blooms. The blooms are large and are yellow, but are a much softer yellow than the flower on the S. flava maxima. The blooms on the S. flava rugelli in question definitely have more yellow coloration than the two forms of S. alata that are growing in close proximity.

I've been doing some research in McPherson's Pitcher Plants of North America and in Schnell's Carnivorous Plants of the United States and Canada. Schnell says (if I remember correctly) that the plants can all be identified only by pitcher characteristics. There are no open pitchers on the plants currently so I can't use that to determine anything right now, hence my questions about the flowers.

It's my understanding that S. flava flowers (from Schnell) have little variation and that flowers are similar regardless of the varietal form. Is this correct or how much variation can one expect to see in S. flava flowers? I'm looking to confirm if the plant in question is S. flava or not. I'm not attempting to identify the varietal form of the plant (yet). :)

Any info will be greatly appreciated!

Will

S. flava flowers are generally similar on each plant and variety, although some have slight red flushes on the sepals.

There are a couple of cream petalled forms in cultivation, perhaps from some distant alata genes.

Thanks for the information; I appreciate it!

Back