What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarracenia seeds

NeciFiX

Kung Fu Fighting!
Hello, I have some S. minor 'okee giant' x ? seeds that have been in a sealed plastic baggie for a few months on my dresser. Can I still stratify them and sow them?

Edit: I just did anyways. What do you think the germination results will be? Gone down?

Why not? Get them moist and cold for 6 weeks before sowing.

I might try for four though, but, yes, I hope I get good results. I have 3 windows in my bedroom. 2 get REALLY, REALLY bright light in the morning (assuming it's cloudless) but then just dimmer light in the afternoon. That should do for seedlings. The third just gets dim light all day. During the winter they will get a mild dormancy for a few months (lows of 45F, highs of 55-60F in the windowsill) so that should serve for a dormancy for a year or two. But, I'm thinking ahead.

It's best to cold store seeds dry and they can remain viable for years. If the seeds were fresh some should still be viable.

If you have grow lights I would keep them there for the first winter. That's what I'm doing for mine and vft seeds.

My grow lights are too weak. I'm putting them in a windowsill. Should I just get a tray to sow them in? Or what?

I got those jiffy things. I used my own peat moss. After they germinated I took the top off.

Back