What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tuesday night - freaking cold (bring em in?)

It's been lows at night around 45-50 degrees, and no lower.

Tomorrow night (4/29) there's a Mother Nature Special low of 37 degrees.

I have Sarracenia Dana's Dlight, x Catesbaei, and Pupurea - should I bring them indoors for the night?

if they have significant new growth, yes don't want to lose any flowers or new pitchers to cold weather.

I'm pretty sure as long as there isn't a significant wind chill they'll live through 37 fine. If you want to be safe then go ahead but I don't think there's much to worry about. My flowers haven't opened yet but they've survived temps that left slight frost on the side of the pot.

Thanks guys - I'm going to play it safe. Bringing them in won't hurt them, leaving them out might.

Easy decision.

If it's above freezing I just let my plants outside.

I'm in the Buffalo area and we experience slightly freezing overnight lows. I left the Sarracenias and VFT's out there. No harm, no foul. I did bring in the sundews and Devil's Claw, though.

I brought my Sarrs in because of frost warnings.......... :(

All that moving it back in and back out wreaked havoc on my plants. I lost the developing flowers on the Sarracenias and many pitchers turned brown. I shocked my binatas and can't tell if I've just shocked the plants or killed them. About all that was unaffected was a lost ID'd VFT, the capensises, and all of the pygmy sundews.

My plants (VFTs and Sarrs) were left out in a 27 degree freeze two night ago..
no damage.

Scot

We have the same weather. I should have just left them out there! :-(

Back