What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rhizome Question

Hey guys,

So I'm just wondering if my rhizome's on my Sarr's are too far out of the ground. Should they be completely covered so that the new pitchers actually have to emerge out of the ground, or should the top of the rhizome be visible above ground? Thanks for any replies!!!

Zach

A pic would help, but I've heard that having the rhizome out little helps new pitchers grow.

It will eventually grow out and uncover the crown so why bother covering it?

I left my sarr rhizomes poking a little out of the peat/perlite mixture then topped dressed the pot with lfs so that they're completely covered by not all by denser peat/perlite mixture.

The upper portion/growth points on mine are exposed. It sends up new pitchers all the time and is doing great.

i leave the top half of the rhizome sticking out above the soil.

~b

Awesome...thanks for the replies guys, it sounds like I'm doing good!

I had the rhizome of my Sarr covered, and it grew slowly, when I uncovered it, it grew fast! Sarracenia's like getting light on the top part of their rhizomes!

My purp grows well with the top portion of the rhizome exposed. On the other hand, my oreo loves to dig itself deep into the pot.

i even have some where only the roots are in the soil, the rhizome itself is just sitting on top.
mine formed tiny spindly pitchers and not many of them when buried, now its a night and day difference in growth.

~b

Back