What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cephalotus humidity

theyellowdart

sea bear returns!
I just got my new ceph in today and I was just wondering if it would grow in the
42% - 45% humidity in my room.
I have space in my terrarium for it if it's too low.
Thanks
-Matt

That should be no problem.

Yeah, that's good, but it would probably like it a bit higher (I think). Can you post a pic of it?

I'll post a pic when I get my new camera; I don't want to make a fool of myself with a cell phone picture. lol

I'll post a pic when I get my new camera; I don't want to make a fool of myself with a cell phone picture. lol

Well, it doesn't matter, as long as we can see it fine, I'd like to see it.

Mine was growing fine in less than 20% over winter. Maybe a little slowly, but who can tell with Cephalotus!

xvart.

Yeah, that's good, but it would probably like it a bit higher (I think). Can you post a pic of it?
Humidity is an urban legend.

Mine was growing fine in less than 20% over winter. Maybe a little slowly, but who can tell with Cephalotus!

xvart.
:-))

45% is fine. Mine was weened from 100% to 30%. Cephalotus are a lot more tolerant than many think :). Though, occasional light misting throughout the hotter sunny days is beneficial.

Mine are getting 38% recently, with temperatures around 92F during the day. Tough plants once they are established. But to acclimatise them from bareroot...well, it takes lots of patience and faith. :-))

I am not sure about the rest of you, but if the lids don't close I suppose the plant is fine with the drop in humidity. ???

Misting of Cephalotus brings up a good question: Should one mist (spray) Cephalotus??

I know that watering of the crown is generally a no-no, but getting an entire plant wet with misting is considered alright? I assume that Cephs encounter rain in their natural wild habitat anyway. ;)

Cephalotus prefer humidity between 60-80% from what ive read, but can be a acclimated to the lower levels. just dont expect it to do much for awhile until it adjusts. mine are all grown in high humidity, but i had to remove the Live LFS from my Hummer's Giant pot because of the powdery mildew issue. though it seems to have stopped. Of course cephs encounter rain in the wild, but i believe since we are growing in doors, the plant wouldnt dry out as quick thus causing the issues with mildew, that is just what I believe. Cephs are fun to grow and really pay off as they mature. :3 have fun with yours, congrats.

What's the point of misting if it's in the open? It only raises the relative humidity only slightly, and even then for a very very short amount of time. If you were going to mist with a spray bottle, you'd have to mist every few minutes to make a noticeable impact. And, if your plant is growing fine, the purpose of misting, no matter how little of an impact it will make, is unnecessary. The only time misting will help is if the plant is in an enclosed area, and the moisture will stay within the chamber, like a terrarium; otherwise, you are just raising the humidity of the entire world, at the tune of no negligible difference whatsoever, depending on where the water came from.

xvart.

The humidity went down to 28% today! At the moment, the plants are enjoying a good misting in the balcony to bring the humidity back up to at least 70%. :)

Thanks everyone

The lids seemed to have closed a little bit more today. They aren't totally shut though.

If you have room why not just put it in the terrarium?

If you have room why not just put it in the terrarium?

I know that I'll eventually have more larger plants to put in my terrarium and I'll probably have to just take it out anyway. If I don't have to grow it in there, I'd prefer not to.

Back