What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

S. minor growers wanted

seedjar

Let's positive thinking!
So I'm looking for folks growing (flowering size) S. minor and, particularly, the giant-form S. minor from Okeefenokee (sp?) Swamp in FL. I have one of each myself and they're probably my favorite purebred species of Sarracenia, but I've always been disappointed at how slowly they grow in cooler climates. I'd like to set up some pollen trading and work on some Okee F2 crosses (Okee x Okee) and also some Okee x typical forms to look for plants that are more tolerant of cold and late winters. This is, of course, a long-term project, but I think there's a reasonable chance that in three or four generations I could come up with a cold-hardy giant-form S. minor. So figuring that, with several growers working on it we shouldn't have any trouble arriving at one or more desirable cultivars. Thoughts? I'm not the most informed about location-specific varieties and the like, so anybody who knows of good candidate S. minor plants should chime in. For that matter, this may have already been done, so if that's the case feel free to tell me. I'll be doing research when I have the time, but at the moment I'm anticipating finals.
Thanks,
~Joe

Well, I just recently got one S. minor from Andrew(and possibly an okee, idk it's a tiny clingon that found its way in). I don't know much about gathering pollen and such, but this sounds fun!

I'm game.

It might be a while before you see flowers from your plant, but we've got plenty of time... :D I should've emphasized flowering-size plants - edited my earlier post. Good to hear there's interest though.
~Joe

The "Okee Giant" I got from Andrew is flowering. One flower has already opened and has been crossed with another species. The second flower should open within the next couple weeks. The first flower did not produce much pollen.

I have a regular ol' minor that is working on flowering. I've never done anything with sarracenia flowers (this'll be my first) so I don't know how helpful I could be but it is here in my yard if you're interested.

How do you grow your minors? Under glass they will grow fine ain your location.

Wish I had seen this earlier. I have okee giant that has already glowered and there doesn't appear to be anything left to gather pollen. I had a bunch of little critters crawling over it too. Not sure what they were they were tiny and long. My reg ol minor I forgot to check. But my flowers have been up for so long they are probably spent already too. I was so busy I didn't even think about crossing them this year and i will be cutting the flowers off as I duno whay crossed with what.

Hey I got an okee thats flowering (not opened yet) right now. Give me a shout if you need help!

Well I don't anticipate seeing a flower from mine this year. I grow them in the open, and both S. minor are usually the last Sarracenia out of dormancy for me each year. Next year I think I might bring them inside midwinter and have them finish their dormancy on a cold windowsill. By 'under glass' do you mean a cold frame, Alexis? I suppose that's also a thought.
If someone has flowers coming up (not yet open) I do have a "Leah Wilkerson" bud coming up (nowhere near mature yet) that I'd like to cross with S. minor "Okee" - it won't quite be the hybrid I've got my sights set on, but some sort of giant S. x. excellens type of plant would still be neat.
~Joe

it won't quite be the hybrid I've got my sights set on, but some sort of giant S. x. excellens type of plant would still be neat.
~Joe

Hey Joe,

There is a leuco "red" x minor "Okee Giant" out there actually, I am growing it. In fact IIRC it is one of two clones made by the same breeder. Very impressive plant.

I have a Okee Giant as well which is going to bloom (or may have bloomed, been so bloody busy writing that I have been a bit negligent of the bog lately.) If the bloom is still viable I have some tentative plans for it but this past weekends wind storm may have made those moot...

A greenhouse or coldframe will help I think. My coldframe gets pretty hot - it's an easy way to boost the temperature.

I'm growing S. minor and S. minor "Okee giant." Both varieties bloomed this year.

my s. minor from andrew had 7 flowers...should have posted this like 3 weeks ago, maybe next year. :)

~b

My minor's flower just started opening today

Back