What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Conservatory Case plants

Here's where i grow some other CPs with my orchid collection inside. I have a ultrasonic humidifier pumping into the case to keep humidity up and temps down a bit.

D_capensis

H_minor x hex - It is finally putting out adult pitchers... and at the same time constantly adding growth points. So I guess i will have to divide eventually.

Ceph- Just recently started putting out the "adult" pitchers with the ribbed mouth area, so i am excited to see it at the end of this year.

Ceph cuttings- the clump threw out tons of leave during the winter.. so by the time it started making pitchers again.. you couldn't see anything for the leaves.. so i thought i would give cuttings a try. Should i partially cover these to keep the humidity even higher around them?

the end

W.jpg

Cap.jpg

H.jpg

Ceph.jpg

Ceph_c.jpg

very nice, but it looks as though they could all use more light. Cool ideas though. Your terrarium looks like a Wardian Case And goes well with your furniture (i'd imagine)...I need to get one of those!

Thanks. The cases are wife approved to be in the main living area.. plus cat proof.

They are in a southern facing bay window. I do have the drop CFL hanging down the middle for supplimental lighting.. ... though I am looking into getting a stronger bulb.

The ceph never really took on any red coloring until the recent "adult" pitchers now have red in the ribbing of the mouth.. is that typically from light or do they color there regardless?

I don't think even upping the light will cut it - it's too far away.

They need more light. Proper light.

Wow your "grow chamber" if I can even call it that is really beautiful! I would love to have one of those in my house! I bet you get many comments on it when you have guests over!

As far as the light... I do have to say that the light in the photos is very low when i took them. On a typical sunny day, it gets direct sun from the afternoon till sunset. But... it is going through the 2 panes of glass in the window and then the glass of the case. The nep i have in the upper part of the case is growing fairly decently... so it isn't the worst light i would think.

The ceph hasn't put out any plain leaves since early spring.. only pitchers... i will just keep an eye on it.

Thanks for the heads up!

Below are the 2 case in full view from last year. The wife got me the smaller one for a present (i am sure she regrets that day). I added the additional top 10" section out of wood and plexi glass. I think this one was $150 plus... she won't tell me... Then i found the large one at Sam's Club for only $50! I had to add plexi to the bottom section to make single room.... I wish I would have bought a couple more at that price. And they don't sell them anymore. The wish i could grow more on the window sills, but the cats would just have a chew fest.

Cases.jpg

Back