What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarracenia outside all year?

I live in Michigan kindof near Lake Huron, and I want to grow some Sarracenia outside all year without having to worry about them freezing to death in the winter. The summers are warm-hot and there are long winters below 0 degrees farenheight. What Sarracenia would I be able to grow outside all year?

maybe sarracenia purparea since it is the most cold tolerant sarracenia.

If you did a bog you could keep more sarrs but if you can't then try using way oversized pots and mulching since it will keep the cold and wind out. You might just try a not too expensive sarr this year and see how it does. I know that one guy who had success in canada with his bog used snow as an insulator so that may work too. You'll knd of have to try things out

S. purpure does the best in the cold and those who live in the northern climes heavily mulch for the winter. Google WildBill.

S. 'Dixie Lace' and S. 'Ladies in Waiting' are cold hardy hybrids down to those temperatures however probably still need to mulch or take some protection action if plant are exposed to those temps with high winds. Root drying with extreme low temps can be lethal.

http://www.carnivorousplants.org/cpn/Species/v27n2p38_40.html

Could S. Alata grow outside all year here?

Could S. Alata grow outside all year here?

It depends on if you are growing them in a bog type setup or in a pot. If your using a pot you can forget it. Unless you take significant precautions, any potted sar will be dead by spring if its left out in your conditions over winter. However, if you have a bog to grow them in you probably have a good shot with almost any Sarracenia (including alata) as long as you heavily mulch them in the Fall. If you don't want to mulch, then probably your only hope is to get some of the cold hardy plants already recommended in this thread... and pray for a lot of snow.

There's a difference between surviving and thriving outdoors though. Sure an alata could survive, but it would be late waking up in spring and be inclined to grow poor pitchers.

I'd recommend only growing sarracenia under glass in your location, with the exception of ssp. purpurea.

Sarracenia purpurea ssp. purpurea is your best bet. You can have other CPs in the bog, though. There are Drosera, many, that grow around here (I think rotundifolia is one of them?). As well as Pinguicula and a few Utricularia. Some Darlingtonia californica that are from the colder mountain areas could probably thrive in a bog garden (with cool moving water) if it had a good amount of mulch in the winter. There's a lot you can do.

I have Sarracenia purpurea outside all year round. It does fine, the U.K has harsh freezes but its still doing realy well.

Back