What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A visit to Phil Faulisi's - PHOTOS!

I recently had the chance to visit Phil Faulisi’s place – and what a pure joy and honor it was. I can only hope that these photos of Phil’s hybrids can sufficiently capture their entrancing beauty. I was awestruck. I was mesmerized. I was hypnotized. I was on a Sarracenia high… !! :-))

As a note of common courtesy (you'd be surprised, courtesy ain't that common these days) ---Please DO NOT contact Phil with any “gimmie-gimmie” requests, or anything along those lines. That’s just irritating and plain rude. Your request will be ignored. Divisions of what you see here will eventually make it’s way around in the CP community, so please -- be patient. This is just a small shadow of things to come…

And Phil, -- THANK YOU for everything and all that you do. You truly are an inspiration to all of us...

Enjoy the show everyone!

Reptilian Rose is a truly stunning hybrid – it actually smells like a rose! The sharp angular features of this plant creates this reptilian impression, hence “Reptilian Rose”

2538312812_3fe70cce7b.jpg

2538312944_91b851787a.jpg

2538313050_60a2a1ab61.jpg

2538313172_2630e3b23f.jpg

Phil’s S. flava ‘red’ x moorei – truly a killer combination with stocky pitchers, strong coloration, tenacious profile, thick aggressive nectar roll flare, wide undulating hood and deep and dominant pitcher spouts quickly made this plant one of my favorites among his collection.

2537494219_5cb2dde335.jpg

2538313378_4b5e6dcb1c.jpg

2537494443_ba6164c85d.jpg

2538313558_f6d90dc480.jpg

2537494657_bc85c30e40.jpg

Two plants of the same grex showing off their style…

2538313794_d6ce14c259.jpg

2538314020_9aa4e89731.jpg

Looks almost like a stained glass hood…
2538314224_30231e556e.jpg

A few dramatic young plants – I can not wait to see these guys when they are more mature. Although still young, they are full of promise, and are already some great hybrids.
2537495253_2b4004cbac.jpg

2537495409_484edb0e24.jpg

I love the color combo on this young hybrid…
2538314722_2e9f55efd2.jpg

2537495767_021be49aa0.jpg

A glimpse of royalty…
2538314936_e7e275f7d5.jpg

And even without color, Royal Ruby is still -- royal…
2538314826_3928c0b8af.jpg

WOW, those are gorgeous!

impressive.

I really like the flava "red" x. moorei

Awesome plants Phil!
And, thanks for the amazing pics, Robert!

yep you're right, they dont do justice :p awesome pictures, thanks!

~b

Um.... Wow! Some phenomenal crosses. My favorite (if I had to choose one!) is the S. 'Royal Red' x flava var. ornata. The coloration and pitcher opening shape are just incredible.

Phil - here's a trade for you where I get the best deal of all: in exchange for posting pictures, I'll gladly view them!

And Phil, -- THANK YOU for everything and all that you do. You truly are an inspiration to all of us...

Here here!

Enjoy the show everyone!

No problem there. It shall be enjoyed many, many times as I can't stop looking at some of those. Thanks again, Phil (and rco for posting the pictures).

xvart.

Thanks everyone, and especially to you Robert. We had a blast doing this. I think there may be more pics coming...I think. Robert took nearly 400 of them that day!

xvart- I'm glad you like that 'Royal Ruby' x flava ornata cross. It is on my list of top ten favorites. Oddly enough...I only had 1 seed germinate from a very weak pod many years ago and that is the plant pictured. I've remade the cross again this year and have 6 or 7 huge pods developing. So these will be hitting the market in a few years.

You folks should have seen Robert that day. He is truly and undeniably Sarraenia obsessed in every sense of the term. He didn't know where to start first so he just jumped in and had a field day. He didn't even go into the greenhouse and that's going to have to be another adventure. Lots of things to show.

Glad you are all enjoying my babies. Just as a side note...S. moorei 'Royal Ruby' aka. "Big Red" was not made by me. It is a natural population hybrid that I introduced into cultivation 15 some odd years ago.

Great. I wake up and see pics of one of my favorite hobbyist's plants , which you all KNOW how I foam at the mouth over his plant's pics, and the first are pics of S. 'Reptilian Rose', which just happens to be one of my favorite cultivars? Are you trying to give me a stroke? Fabulous!

Don't make fun of me for waking up a half hour until noon lmao. THANK you, Phil and Robert.

Wow! Great looking plants Phil!

Beautiful photos Rob. Its too bad you couldnt have dropped by my place while you were down there. In fact, the Sunday after you took all those pics, Phil came over and brought all of my bogs to his place to plantsit for me. You could have seen my collection as well.

I have to agree that Phil has one of the most beautiful collections I have ever seen. Truely remarkable.

Cheers
Steve

xvart- I'm glad you like that 'Royal Ruby' x flava ornata cross. It is on my list of top ten favorites. Oddly enough...I only had 1 seed germinate from a very weak pod many years ago and that is the plant pictured. I've remade the cross again this year and have 6 or 7 huge pods developing. So these will be hitting the market in a few years.

Thanks for that information, Phil. That is remarkable that only one seed germinated and it turned out to be such a stunner. I'll eagerly wait to see what then bursting pods have in store. I'm going to go hybernate now. Wake when those seeds have reached potential.

You folks should have seen Robert that day. He is truly and undeniably Sarraenia obsessed in every sense of the term. He didn't know where to start first so he just jumped in and had a field day. He didn't even go into the greenhouse and that's going to have to be another adventure. Lots of things to show.

lol. I can only imagine. Like a kid in a candy store. I'm sure all of us would be equally excited. Phil, if I ever get the opportunity to come by and see your babies I'll be bringing a cot and tent, lol!

xvart.

Rob/Phil Awesome photos and plants respectively!!! I love those red, upright trumpets!

Phil, I always like to know other people's growing conditions. Soil mix, repotting frequency, are you growing them outside all year long?

Thanks again! -Chris (Woodnative)

xvart said:
lol. I can only imagine. Like a kid in a candy store. I'm sure all of us would be equally excited. Phil, if I ever get the opportunity to come by and see your babies I'll be bringing a cot and tent, lol!

Man -- I didn't know where to start at all, like Phil says! I am Sarracenia addicted!! Just being around his plants was a sheer delight. Being around CP, especially Sarrs, is a drug to me. I will go thru withdrawals if I can not get my "fix". Now, Phil's plants are so friqin spectacular, it's almost illegal!!!! LOL :-O I spent a few hours there, and that was just on the Sarrs alone, I had a small glimpse at the greenhouse -- I'm saving that adventure for another day - that is if Phil will let me back! Heh, he had to get a restraining order, as I could not keep away from photographing his plants. OH man, that was a Sarracenia UTOPIA right there.

Great. I wake up and see pics of one of my favorite hobbyist's plants , which you all KNOW how I foam at the mouth over his plant's pics, and the first are pics of S. 'Reptilian Rose', which just happens to be one of my favorite cultivars? Are you trying to give me a stroke? Fabulous!

Don't make fun of me for waking up a half hour until noon lmao. THANK you, Phil and Robert.

Clint -- LOL, if you could only see it in person! I had a coronary in the presence of reptilian rose! Dude, even just looking at his plants can have that kind of effect. It's just beyond words!

Steve - Man, I know, I just heard I missed you by just 1 day!! Hey, Did you leave for TX yet? Man, we'll miss having you around while you are over there!

Phil - I can not thank you enough for allowing to me come and visit - thank you for your time, your generosity, your patience with me (as I was just standing there gawking and drewlin' over your plants) -- and most of all, thank you for your tenacity for quality, and commitment to these spectacular plants. You impart to all of us a drive and motivation to become better growers, and for that I can not than you enough...

wow, stunning.. i love sarracenia!

Stunning plants Phil! Great pics Robert.

Ilbasso, control yourself! Your drool is dripping all over my keyboard!! :nono:

Phil,
Sensational plants. So glad that you got the job of babysitting VFT" guy's plants.

Rob Fabulous picture. I could almost smell the rose smell form thepicture.LOL
Lois

You have some very nice plants there Phil. Was a pleasure to see them, thank you Rob :)

How many plants do you get through to select the best ? You would think it were an easy process seeing these lol.

Back