What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarracenia seed sprouting

I recieved some sarr seed in the begining of april and after stratifying them I sowed them on a peat perlite mixture. In the past week and a half or so I've noticed small green things coming out of the seeds and going down into the soil. However I have yet to see leaves or pitchers form. I'm wondering if it's normal for sarr seeds to take this long to form leaves/pitchers since most plants form leaves pretty quickly after breaking out of the seed. I really don't think the sprouts are dead since they're still green but I'm kind of worried that something may be wrong. Sorry if this is a newb question but I can't seem to find the answer elsewhere. Thanks for your help
-Max

its normal...

Thanks for the help. It just worried me because most plants try to send out as much green as possible when they first break out of the seed to start photosynthesizing. Sarrs must focus on roots for longer than most other plants

How did you do it Neps N Things?

This is how mine looked:

IMG_0470.jpg

The first step is for a root to emerge from the seed. Then the seed will be pushed skywards and two leaves emerge. Then the first mini pitcher will grow from the centre.

It can take a couple of weeks from first growth to the first pitcher starting.

Back