What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My plants getting enough sunlight?

One of the plants I currently own is a S. purpurea i got from a Lowes Box of Death. The plant has been doing well, and is starting to send up new traps.

My question is now where is the best place for my plant as well as the other pitchers I should be getting shortly? Up until now its been a bit cold outside so all my plants have been sitting in a bay window that faces SE. The plants get sun nearly all day and the purpurea is actualy starting to turn purple from the solid green it was when I got it. The new traps are also coming up solid purple.

However now that it is getting warmer out, I wanted to put my plants out on my balcony which faces east. The thing is it does not get sun all day, it gets direct sun from about sunrise to 11:00-11:30am until the sun goes over the roof. I then have a few more hours of bright shade.

I am torn as to what is the best enviroment for the plants, since pretty soon it will be too hot to leave the windows open and I'll start using the air. I don't keep it too cold, but using it will drop the humidity like a rock. However outside summers here tend to average around 80+ and the humidity can vary but can get pretty high unless we have a dry spell.

My question is now where is the best place for my plant as well as the other pitchers I should be getting shortly? Up until now its been a bit cold outside so all my plants have been sitting in a bay window that faces SE. The plants get sun nearly all day and the purpurea is actualy starting to turn purple from the solid green it was when I got it. The new traps are also coming up solid purple.

same here i used to have it in my room where they had like 5hour's sun
now they're outside with over 10hours sun :D
traps used to be green (new one's) now they're red as well

Do you have a windowsill which faces south?

Yes the window in the kitchen faces south, maybe a little south easterly and is a bay window so there is light coming from the sides as well in the morning and late afternoon. Plus you get a real nice breeze when the window is open.

I'm just wondering how ideal it will be once the summer heat really kicks in and I have to turn the air on.

Put it outside. If you're worried it will be too hot for the plant, don't. Also don't worry about humidity, but the plant really needs to be outside in as much sun as you can give it.

I'd be more tempted to put it on the windowsill (since it'll be more shaded outside). It'll take the heat and love the south/southeast sun.

I have myne outside all year round, in the UK, we have some of the harshest weather, hard frosts to tarmac melting heat. It does fine. It loves full sun all day, so I'd say, whack it outside. :)

Yes, but your plant is in the sun I assume. The original poster only get half an hour of direct sun outside, which isn't enough.

Its better than nothing.

A picture is worth a thousand word:

IMG_4212.jpg

IMG_4215.jpg

You know what I love about your pics Jim, they are small data size, but come with beautiful plants. Yours must get alot of light

100_0498.jpg

100_0497.jpg

100_0496.jpg

Sorry about the last pic, I know they are rubish but my comp wont let me intall my good camera, the plant only just recently came out of dormancy so, they are not very well coloured

Yes, but your plant is in the sun I assume. The original poster only get half an hour of direct sun outside, which isn't enough.

No no no I get like half a DAY of sunlight. If it was half an hour it would be a no brainer that they'd be in the window.

Sorry, I misread your original post!

I'd still stick it on the windowsill if you're only getting light until 11.30. In August, with less daylight it'll be a bit a less I imagine.

Back