What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

hope to receive tips for 1st pitcher plant bough today :)

hihi fellow CP enthus :). i just got my pitcher today. the better ones are sold out already, thus i bought one that is overcrowded... i think its really overcrowded, will it be alright if i snip some of them off to make it neater - is it recommended or best to let it stay this way?

currently i've poured abit of water into the pitchers to hydrate them a little and using distilled water to make the soil moist. its not situated outside my house and its rather sunny during 12-3pm and stable amount of lighting outside till 6pm. is there any tips to improve the overcrowding condition and to take better care for it? will it improve on its colouration when i give it good sunlight as it was located in a slightly shaded place in the nursary when i got it today.

sorry for the pile of questions. here are the unglam pictures of the pitcher plant i bought.
DSC08441.jpg

DSC08442.jpg

DSC08447.jpg

It's not overcrowded at all. Indeed it is even a little sparse for some species. You might trim a couple of the brown leaves but that's about it.

I'd lose the plastic sock and put it in a tray or something like your VFT. And if you could manage an hour or more of direct sunlight it will probably be a lot happier.

Happy growing!

At first, I thought that was a gallon-sized pot next to a wall. Then I noticed the Dionaea and realized it wasn't :) The plastic wrap went over my head hehe.

Set it in a shallow tray of pure water. Take the plastic off, put it in as much sunlight as you possibly can give it. If it's inside, put it outside. You can snip off anything dead and just under the dead tissue to make it neater. Don't snip off anything green during the growing season. This winter, many people snip off everything above ground; from green summer growth to phyllodia. Then you may once they're dormant. Or you may not :) Just preference. In the mean time, anything green will can photosynthesize and help the plant. You can actually repot it now if you want, or wait until this fall/winter or the start of next spring. I recommend you wait, but repotting it during the growing season isn't that big of a deal. It'll just set it back a little compared to if you had waited. Really, no big deal.

You may have bought it from the shade... doesn't mean that's where it goes. this is the most light demanding genus. The more light, the better. It will definitely make it look more colorful. It may burn. Don't worry about it. It'll come back. Sarracenia don't need to be babied. Filling the pitchers on an acclimating plant is fine, but don't do it again.

You can apply all of the above to your Dionaea, too. Where do you live? You may have to make special arrangements for dormancy, like mulching or using a fridge, or you may not need to do anything at all except forget about it for a few months.

Not a Number: thank you for the info :D

Clint: thanks for the detailed instructions. i live in Singapore. right where i live, there is consistent 'summer'. my country is located near the equator. i'll read up about dormancy. thanks again! =D

You're worrying WAY too much.

1. Tip out the water you poured in the pitchers. The lids are designed to keep water out.

2. Sit it in a tray or rainwater.

3. Put it in the sun.

4. Only trim dead brown parts off.

Then you'll need to use a fridge for the winter. They HAVE to have a dormancy.They'll fizzle out and die. It's literally like staying awake until you die from it.

You NEED Nepenthes if you live in Singapore. And even if you don't!

Back