What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

As a follow-on to the Travis thread (as well as Bucky & Joel), here are a few more Sarrs w/ some nice red coloration (they keep prying me away from my work) :nono:

Two S. flava var rubricorpora plants from the Appalachicola, FL area. Clone 2 is on the left w/ lots of red and clone 1 is on the right w/ significantly less red. Both were from the same batch of seed.
40cl2cl1062208RS.jpg

S. flava var atropurpurea from Bay County, FL
43062208RSdk.jpg

S. rosea from Bay County, FL. It usually gets darker red later in the season - but it's one of my favorites due to the pitcher & hood shape. Often the 2 sides of the hood almost close over the pitcher mouth. This plant was grown from seed many years ago. Interestingly - it spent 2-3 years as a ~3" diameter miniature plant. All the pitchers were shaped as an adult - just very small. Then one year, it just decided to grow up.... ???
23062208RS.jpg

S. purpurea ssp venosa var montana from Henderson County, NC. The pitcher on the right just opened in the last day or so before the pic.
21062208aRS.jpg

S. purpurea ssp venosa 'Brunswick Beauty' from a few weeks ago.
BrunswickBeautyRS.jpg

Tops of a S. flava var cuprea. I've grown this clone for years & given away many. Dean Cook coined it 'Kimber Red Ruffles' (or something similar). It has an amazingly dark & huge lid...
KimberRS.jpg

Young S. flava var atropurpurea from Liberty County, FL. Received this in a trade over the winter. For a young & newly transplanted plant - it's showing a lot of promise ... :bigthumpup:
43b062208RS.jpg

Some lids from S. flava ‘Bronze’
48tops062308RS.jpg

I just spent the last hour updating my growlist & uploading add'l pics over there - so this'll do for now ....:sleep:

I didn't know you had pitcher plants! love those purps!

I love all your Sarrs I want to trade you!

Wow, those are very nice!

Ron-
They are awesome plants!! Great color! I don't know what else to say. Beautiful!

Phenomenal plants Ron!! Bravo!! I love the lids on that Flava bronze and kimber red! WOW!

Ron,
great looking plants.
I like the S. flava ‘Bronze’ the best.
Can you get a shot of the side of the plant? I'm curious if the rest of the tubes are green or do they also have a red shading to them?
If they are green, wow, what a contrast that plant must be.

Ron,
great looking plants.
I like the S. flava ‘Bronze’ the best.
Can you get a shot of the side of the plant? I'm curious if the rest of the tubes are green or do they also have a red shading to them?
Steve,
See if the add'l pics on my growlist show you what you're looking for - the one labeled 'Clump' shows the side view & the 1st 'Pic' shows a side view from last year. For super dark red, I prefer the atro (code 43). In the mid-day sun, it almost looks black. The Horry County cuprea (46B) has a red lid & a contrasting green body (I believe).

Wow!:0o: Just beautiful. I recently ordered a hybrid with kimber red ruffles in it and now after seeing those pics I'm glad I did. I hope it has a fair amount of it's charactristics. Also is kimber red ruffles a cuprea or atropupurea because here http://www.humboldt.edu/~rrz7001/Sarracenia.html it's listed as atropurpurea

Great photos.

What's the story behind 'Kimber Red Ruffles'? Is it seed grown?

It has a yellow, flava like flower, albeit quite small. It seems to be of hybrid ancestry?

Here's the shot labeled 'clump' of the 'Bronze' flava that Steve asked about above:
48062308RS.jpg

I believe that there is consensus that this clone has some Sarr other than flava a few generations back.

... and here's a shot of the Horry County, SC cuprea from 2007:
Sflavacuprea46B061307RS.jpg

Also is kimber red ruffles a cuprea or atropupurea <snip>?
I originally acquired it as a 'coppertop' so I've always called it that (or a cuprea - once that name was created). Bugweed & some others a few years back decided that the tube got red enough to be called an atro. Although these naming conventions allow us to classify plants within 'groups', because S. flava has a virtual continuum of variety within it's family - folks often try to shoehorn plants into one group/classification or another. I try to not get too hung up on the naming conventions... I have another plant that Bugweed gave me several years ago as an atro. While I suspect that it must have shown him red at some point, it has never developed any significant red since I've had it - even though another atro & a rubricorpora next to it have deep red coloration.

Great photos.
I appreciate all of the kind words from you and the others about these pics. From both a composition & technical view though - there really is a lot of room for improvement. I just hope that they are adequate enough to convey the beauty, shapes & colors of the plants...

What's the story behind 'Kimber Red Ruffles'?
I wish I could answer your question - but sadly I don't know... I acquired the plant between 10 & 15 years ago iirc. I have no records of who sold it to me. (It seems that I learn best by screwing up. From this lesson - and others - I now try to keep reasonably good records of both where my plants go & who sends me plants). For obvious reasons, I really enjoyed growing it and gave away & traded many divisions. After I gave Dean Cook a plant, every few months he would email me and ask if I had any others. At some point, he gave it the name that now follows it.

Is it seed grown?
Not by me. Based on plants (& pics) of other cupreas/atros, I suspect that this plant originated in North Carolina (but this is completely a quasi-educated guess).

It has a yellow, flava like flower, albeit quite small. It seems to be of hybrid ancestry?
Some folks believe it has some other Sarr in it's ancestry. However, unlike the 'Bronze', there seems to be little support for this theory - other than conjecture.

Although not a plant highlighted by it's dramatic red colors, here's a recent pic of a Virginia flava that I feel has a very elegant shape/pattern:
49062208RS.jpg

Thanks for the information. My Kimber is doing well! It's a cracking plant.

I like the Virginia flava too - candy striped.

I didn't think it could get much better but you proved me wrong with that virginia flava. It's found itself a spot on my favorites list. If you ever have an extra I'd love to try and work out some kind of trade.

Back