What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Odd cephalotuses

the cephalotus certainly is an odd plant. You can have them side-by-side and one of them will color up and the other will refuse and just stay completely green.
coloroddballs.jpg

You can also have them sit there for a whole year and do nothing, it looks like this one is going to flower. It doesn't look like it's going to survive a flower though, I should cut off the flower stalk in case it gets stressed. I don't know though, do you think I should let it flower? I've never tried my hand at growing cephalotus from seed before.
flower.jpg

And then I have this other oddball that produces pitchers with a second set of ribs below. Anybody else have a mature cephalotus doing this to you? Even the unopened pitchers seem to be putting out that second set of ribs.
ribs2.jpg

ribs3.jpg

ribs.jpg

I do not see any flower stalk on any of your plants.

Perhaps it was the "winter leaf? That is useful to begin a new plant.

By elgecko:I do not see any flower stalk on any of your plants.
I also agree and i love the nep in the pics. what species?

the cephalotus certainly is an odd plant. You can have them side-by-side and one of them will color up and the other will refuse and just stay completely green.

You can also have them sit there for a whole year and do nothing, it looks like this one is going to flower. It doesn't look like it's going to survive a flower though, I should cut off the flower stalk in case it gets stressed. I don't know though, do you think I should let it flower? I've never tried my hand at growing cephalotus from seed before.

And then I have this other oddball that produces pitchers with a second set of ribs below. Anybody else have a mature cephalotus doing this to you? Even the unopened pitchers seem to be putting out that second set of ribs.
I routinely have had plants over the years which will readily become colorful and some even very dark; the so-called "Eden Black" comes to mind, which was circulating around the UK, while others will remain a lime green. Also the notion of the "double-ribbed" is a bit misleading and fairly common; simply the lateral "L" rib curl back from the bottom. It happens to a limited degree with most of my Cephalotus. In one or two it's simply more pronounced . . .

It's a damn mercurial little plant to be sure, and its reputation only being made more eccentric by the fact that it eats things . . .

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice Cephs, but I don't see a second set of ribs.

Bigbella, capensis: now that you mention it I do notice that it's not really a second pair of ribs but more the initial rib curling underneath and heading back out to the mid-rib. The funny thing is, along the back end, there are no more furs, and then the furs reappear as that rid heads backout to the middle rib so from a distance it looks like two ribs when it's actually the same one curling back out.

elgecko, jimscott, philcula: if that's the winter leaf than that what it is. The only time I have seen this appears on cephalotus that I received from southern carnivores and all of those flowered shortly after. I had come to assume that this is a sign of a cephalotus going in to flower. If they can go ahead and start producing pitchers instead I will have to watch this one closely to see how it carries on. It hasn't done much since August last year though. Almost 1 year in dormancy seems quite unusual. I think I should see some growth by now.

polywer: you have an eye for things expensive, that is a nepenthes jamban. want to see more photographs of that alone? It seems quite happy sitting here on cephalotus growing conditions. I wish I could say the same for the aristo sitting next to it though. That one is pouting and showing heat stress left right and center.

bt b.t. polywer: you have an eye for things expensive, that is a nepenthes jamban. want to see more photographs of that alone? It seems quite happy sitting here on cephalotus growing conditions. I wish I could say the same for the aristo sitting next to it though. That one is pouting and showing heat stress left right and center.
show me pics when you have time, i love jamban, i was thinking if it was jamban or a jacq

Jamban photos as requested!
jamban2.jpg

jamban.jpg

How do you grow your jamban? :-O

wow! fantastic jamban man!! its an expensive plant...but wow! it sure is beautiful. :)

thanks b.t so nice but so expensive , i so want your plant:)

Here is a shot of Cephalotus with the lateral ribs curling back -- the so-called "double-ribbed" variant -- though it's occurred with all of my plants at one time or another . . .
Nice Cephs, but I don't see a second set of ribs.

CF-Giant.jpg

Back