What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ceph Help!!!!!!

My baby ceph that I got from someone(you know who you are and thanks) was going fine from the day I got it until now, the two leaves it had are dying and it made a small sprout but know it si turning dark green or brown.Will it survive? We just had a sudden change in weather, it was warm and now it is shivering cold at night and until noon.My brother elsantaclause won't help me with pics so you guys will have to wait.

Yellow and brown are bad colors for CP's. If you have a green "winter leaf" you can initiate a leaf cutting and keep it going.

Are you saying the that the 'fist' is still really small, still not having the shape of a pitcher, but it looks brown? That's normal, mine does that all the time. Btw, elsantaclause is your brother? Never knew that.

No Capensis this is what i mean is that the'fist' had two green leaves, now they are dying, it made a green stub to its other growth point and know the stub is dark green, so green that i can barely see it:( i am sending it to my friend to bring it back to life.

i am sending it to my friend to bring it back to life.

Woah, let's not be too hasty here. How about we diagnose the problem and see if you can save it before shipping, causing more disturbance, and hurting the chance for survival. Get some pictures posted and we'll help a lot more.

xvart.

no, he is like 10 miles away and my other friend who live next to him is going to give it to him

i can't my brother won't help me and i am giving it to my friend today. I have pics already but will need time will be ready tonite after i send the ceph

Last edited by a moderator:
Does your friend (or family member) have a camera that can take pictures?

yes but his brother elsantaclause won't help him with taking pictures.
Is the soil too wet it should be kept moist not soggy and when you water water around the perimeter of the pot away from the crown of the plant, water runs downhill last time I checked so it might help to have it potted in the center of a mound but it does not like it's roots disturbed so I would not repot if there is no mound.

California has a a wide variety of micro-climates, D_Muscipula. It has primarily a Mediterranean climate, and nightly averages are usually in the 50's and 60's in the summer. The micro-climates are why so many vineyards are in California. One plot of land may be ideal for one grape, while the plot a half mile away may be unsuitable for the same grape but perfect for another. If California wasn't so cold, I'd love to move there :p

All you can do is leave it alone. You can use Superthrive and a preventative if you want.

Is your friend at all qualified to tend to a ceph?? I'd think that if he/she is, then they'd be the ones to ask for help. Since you're here, it is assumed that maybe they aren't the best place to take it.

Why the heck won't your brother help with pics?? Is there someone else that can help or have you already sent it off?

Sigh...I don't want to be the bad guy here BUT ya know there is a really good reason that the experienced growers on here went to great lengths to emphasize how picky and difficult these plants can be.

yes he has one illbasso, and my bro 'doesn't' know how and is very lazy. also i have pics but don't know how to upload. i do know how to take care of ceph but need a grow rack . i also think it is doing what is it doing because it is on a growrack on a window, a not so much light window but you never know.

by D_ Muscipula:Is the soil too wet it should be kept moist not soggy and when you water water around the perimeter of the pot away from the crown of the plant, water runs downhill last time I checked so it might help to have it potted in the center of a mound but it does not like it's roots disturbed so I would not repot if there is no mound.
well i water from below and it was already potted when i got it.

Go to a hosting site (photobucket), make an account if you don't have one (or use imageshack), hit "upload", select your file, wait for it to upload, and then copy the code here.

Knowing HOW to take care of something isn't really the same as doing it. I know HOW to take care of lots of plants that I'd never have a snowball's chance in hell of growing without investing some serious coin to give me the right conditions to facilitate that.

I don't see where you've told us day and night temperatures (before and after the "cold snap"), a light level other than "not much, but you never know", humidity, media composition, watering schedule, watering amount (just that you water from below. That could mean anything from a 1/4th in to two inches!), media depth or how long you've had it. All we know is that it used to be warmer, now it's not as warm, that you received it potted (which suggests it has had no root stress from repotting, but the fact that it only had three leaves implies the person you got it from either divided it recently or wasn't taking care of it well) and that it was a proto pitcher and two leaves. which are discoloring. You can't expect an answer better than " Leave it alone and use superthrive and a preventative fungicide if you want" with the limited amount of information you've given us. Oh, wait. We also know that you further stressed the plant by moving it to a new set of conditions ten miles away, giving it to a person that probably (as was pointed out) can't rehabilitate it in the first place, otherwise there would be no need to ask a question; he'd either tell you or do it for you.

It's kind of like knowing you have diabetes, but going to a doctor just for giggles and expecting him to diagnose you based on the fact that you are sometimes thirsty, without telling him your other symptoms or allowing him to do any tests other that maybe your blood pressure and a pulse if you're feeling generous.

First, without any real knowledge of what is going on, my guess would be it's been too wet. It's rotting. As Clint has suggested, taking a few seconds of your time to better explain how it has been kept will be beneficial. You water with the tray method. Is there always water in the tray? How high is the water level? How deep is the pot? Three questions you should be able to answer in less than 30 seconds.

no, he is like 10 miles away and my other friend who live next to him is going to give it to him

So let me get this straight... You are giving it to your other friend who lives next door to your friend; and, your other friend is then going to give it to your friend? :crazy:

i do know how to take care of ceph but need a grow rack . i also think it is doing what is it doing because it is on a growrack on a window, a not so much light window but you never know.

Probably something we should have considered before getting the Cephalotus.

It's kind of like knowing you have diabetes, but going to a doctor just for giggles and expecting him to diagnose you based on the fact that you are sometimes thirsty, without telling him your other symptoms or allowing him to do any tests other that maybe your blood pressure and a pulse if you're feeling generous.

I can't help but laugh at this analogy... lol.

Sigh...I don't want to be the bad guy here BUT ya know there is a really good reason that the experienced growers on here went to great lengths to emphasize how picky and difficult these plants can be.

And I thought they were doing it for their health...

i can't my brother won't help me and i am giving it to my friend today.

If you are already going to give it to your friend to give it to your friend today, what was the point of asking for our help today?

Also, in the future, please edit your posts if you have additional information if you have something to say within a few minutes after your last post. Either that, or make sure you read through everything first, and then respond to all the posts. The "multi-quote" feature is designed just for that reason ("quote +").

xvart.

now because i missed my oppertunity and can't it give it to my friend because she went home. and Clint it is in very little water i let it evaproate for 2-3 days and water again.and again it is a baby so it is in a 3 inch deep pot. I am not moving it!!!!!ever!

Woo. Lets pull a few more teeth and see if we can get the rest of the information out of you that I requested.

One down (sort of... ) I think it's gonna be a long night. Put on the coffee and get the pliers, JC.

1/4 inch of water. moist soil,waters every 2 days, 50-60% humidity, and is a very robust clone from Pyro and was very healthy until cooldown. the ceph did this just a few days ago.Sorry for not being descriptive Clint/ Everyone else.

and Clint it is in very little water i let it evaproate for 2-3 days and water again.

1/4 inch of water. moist soil,waters every 2 days,

I'm still confused because you water every two days but you let it evaporate for 2-3 days... My guess is still rot from too much water. If you water on strict schedule (every two days) then you run a high risk of overwatering. I think the cool weather probably only accelerated the current overwatering problem because when it is cooler, the plant needs/uses less water.

Sorry for not being descriptive Clint/ Everyone else.

The more information you provide in the beginning will only help you get correct and accurate help. This may have been resolved twelve hours ago... Plus it negates the frustration of others attempting to give the advice you are seeking.

xvart.

okay so don't water it for a long time?posting pics in a couple

And I STILL didn't get the answers to all of my VERY simple questions, but whatever.

Humidity is fine. I have no idea what the light actually is, no idea what the media is (do you realize that media is probably the most important aspect to this plant?),but I'll assume it's fine since you got it from Travis and you haven't repotted it, no idea just how cold it is, your watering schedule (as was pointed out) makes zero sense... I give up. It's likely rot from too much moisture. It's almost always rot, but I'm not going to continue beating my head against a wall trying to get the most basic of information to help you.

Good luck.

P6260026.jpg

here are pics of the ceph
P6260027.jpg

i used a mag. glass for better image but still bad sorry this is my first time.

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll256/cplover24/P6260028.jpg
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll256/cplover24/P6260029.jpg
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll256/cplover24/P6260033.jpg
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll256/cplover24/P6260034.jpg
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll256/cplover24/P6260036.jpg
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll256/cplover24/P6260037.jpg

edit: removed pictures since they were too blurry to see anything you were trying to show us. No need to waste server space. I left the links in case anyone wants to see them. -xvart.

Back