What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Repotting and stuff

upper

Capensis Killer
would it draw my sarracenia and vft back if i repotted them all to a bigger pot right now?
my sarracenia(oreophila and scarlet belle) is starting to stop growing but my oreophila just made like 3 growth from its rhizome. my vft is starting to make those tall high stalk going up in the air.

i'm planning on dividing some of my VFT too.... its getting..... clumpy..
and for sarracenia i'm planning on just snapping the little growth off from the rhizome which should already have roots since it already made like 4 miniature pitcher less than 1 inch in size.

It will probably put them into shock that they may not recover from for some time. If they are growing fine, why would you want to repot them now anyway? Just wait until next spring.

i didnt want to wait until the roots gets all tangled up from the new growth with the older ones. and my VFT is clumping ALOT!.

Sarracenia and VFTs in general can be repotted any time. Recovery time is more or less a function of how roughly you handle the plants. Zero recovery time to zero recovery time. Took a lickin' and keeps on tickin' or too much of a lickin' and they stopped tickin'

Not a Number -

You LICK your Sarracenia when dividing them?!? I've never heard of this technique! How much do you lick them? And is it a sloppy, wet licking, or just a light 'flick-of-the-tongue' kind of licking.

I might just try this...assuming you say it works, of course... :jester:

Regards,

Mike

lol i gotta try licking the sarracenia... but not too much because it'll stop tickin'

so i'll try to repot today or sometime later after today.

Repotting can be in general done anytime. Dividing Sarracenia (cutting/splitting rhizomes) is usually best done late winter or early spring just before growth starts.

VFTs tend to split on their own and I usually wait for that. You can split them if they are mostly divided but it could set the growth back a bit as the wound heals.

Mike, take a swig of SuperThrive, swish it around and lick the roots and rhizome. Works miracles. (If you believe that I have some beachfront property in AZ to sell you). ;)

i'll just wait for late winter for dividing everything up. i also have superthrive, should i mix with water and rub it around the divided part for late winter?(long time) i was just afraid the roots might get tangled if i wait till late winter.and i have no idea how many vft i have in there, about 6-7 flower came out in spring.... alot of the new traps are shooting high in the sky now(almost at the half way point of my sarracenia pitcher) comes out green, but turns red after a while. i dont want to stop them from shooting up so i'll wait till late winter.

another question.
there's a vft that's not in the clump, on to the side of the pot... it seems to catch even more insect then the big clump. same condition given, same pot and stuff. but its green.... under the teeth the line where the reds usually stop, there's a faded brownish line instead of red. is this a different type of vft? all these i got from 99cent store(hopefully nobody thinks of this as a CP vendor)(2 cylinder of vft for 99cent) i just asked the manager and he gave me 50% discount..

never mind

Back