What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarr Stratification

I don't know, but it sound like you've been making a meal of it with bags.

Wrap in paper towel, wet and stick in the fridge for 5 weeks.

After 5 weeks, sow.

No mold, no messing with bags or moss.

Any mold is probably attributable to the stagnant conditions you've kept the seeds in.

I guess I can try that next time, if I get any seeds this Spring anyway.

HMMM i have the same situation lol! well i do my cobra seed in a small carry out container, i put them in a soggy mixture of peat/perlit. and put them in the frige its already been 6 months now, i think i should get them out. and idea what should i do next? thinking about sprinkle the mixture of cobra seed/ peat / perlit on finely choped sphagnum moss will this work?

WARNING: take my advice at ur own risk, because i m newbie, i kno soggy is bad the seed r probably rot by now but i checked on them last sat. theres no mold or rot seed so far!

Six months? If Darlingtonia need to be stratified at all then 4 weeks is sufficient.

If you're using peat or Sphagnum moss (either live or otherwise) you want it slightly damp - squeeze or press out the water to the point where it will release water only when pressed.

As for sowing them, that will work, or just pour out the excess water, cover the container and put it in a warm brightly lit area that doesn't bake in the sun. If the seeds are still viable they could sprout in as little as ten days.

As far as I can see, the one that straitfied in the pot, I see one germinating!!! Only about two fo the 15 seeds from that packet was uneffected :3. I can't see any of the other seeds from the second packet that was in a baggie of LFS.

Germination!!!

SN852197.jpg

This was actually from the packet that I stratified in LFS. It is currently in a small tubberware container. I was surprised because I saw none of the seeds, but this little guy popped up :3.

Nothing yet from the one that were in a pot. But, I did find another healthy seed and it seems it'll sprout in a few days. Same as the others. I don't have this in a baggie while I had the tubberware one in one. I think having it in a baggie helps. Can't wait for them to shed their seeds :D.

cool!

Update.

Tuberware/Baggie of LFS:

SN852220.jpg

SN852223.jpg

Pot/Potted:

SN852227.jpg

SN852231.jpg

I find this one really neat because you can see its roots.
SN852230.jpg

Another update. This was the first to germinate, now with the first to open its pitcher.

:3
SN852404.jpg

Update.
All now have at least one open pitcher :3
SN852523.jpg

SN852524.jpg

Had to modify a bit so I can fit the new plants that are coming xD :
SN852529.jpg

Looking good!

I will now do monthly updates. And I noticed that it's really hard to photograph them because of my camera's flash x3.
Tubberware:
SN852766.jpg

Pot:
SN852770.jpg

Hi Capensis,
I have some seedlings about the same size as yours. Mine are still growing with the pot in a sealed plastic bag. I haven't read anywhere when the bag should be opend or removed. Are yours still covered and do you know when I should remove the bag?

Harlo there! No, mine aren't covered. I don't know when to, but I took them off when I saw the first sign of germination. They are currently in low humidity terrarium right now. I plan to put them outside next spring.

Thanks, I'll start opening the bag a little to let them adjust. I was leaving it on in hopes of getting a few more seeds to germinate. I did have a few stragglers a few weeks after the first ones, but only got about %60 total.

Another monthly update ^^

I'm finding it a bit weird that the tubberware seedlings are getting more color than the ones in pot seeing that the one in pots are a lot closer to the lights. Perhaps variation? ???

Edit: Um...I guess I messed up with the attachments...it got me confused :p.

Here's the other one.
SN852928.jpg

Really don't know what happened.

Thanks, I'll start opening the bag a little to let them adjust. I was leaving it on in hopes of getting a few more seeds to germinate. I did have a few stragglers a few weeks after the first ones, but only got about %60 total.

Plastic bag = stagnant air = fungus = bad :-(

Decided to take pictures of only these two because they're easier to take. xD

SN852996.jpg

SN852995.jpg

Completely forgot about this.

They all kind of look like this, just one good pitcher, all because of the cold.
SN853355.jpg

Forgot about this thread again. :p After some time of recovery, one seedling died, the one near the rim of the tubberware. I took a quick, bad picture of one. You can see the second in the background. They made a nice recovery and hopefully will continue to do better.

DSC03155.jpg

Back