What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarr Stratification

I am officially down to two seedlings. The tubberware seedlings are both dead. :/ Only the ones in a pot have survived. They have now perked up and are growing at a nice rate. Hopefully they continue to do well.

One of the two. Why is it so hard to take a picture of them!?:
DSC03274.jpg

I was actually thinking of making a picture thread since I haven't made one in about a year. I'll be sure to update this soon. :)

Why do sarr seedling have such a lousy survival rate?

I have never experienced particularly low survival rates with Sarracenia or other seedlings. On the average, they've done quite well, unless I've managed to neglect them (which has happened, on occasion) . . .

i mostly have good germination rates with Sarracenia seeds, it might be that everyone is over-complicating this simple task...

~billy

I plan on getting some seeds from my S.purpurea this year (it has 5 flower stalks) and was wondering if there was any special tips you guys could give me so they don't all die.

It's not that I had a low germination rate, it's that when I received the seeds, most were crushed, which would obviously mean nothing would come out of them. Also, two died off because of freak cold weather last year.

It's not that I had a low germination rate, it's that when I received the seeds, most were crushed, which would obviously mean nothing would come out of them. Also, two died off because of freak cold weather last year.

Oh yeah, I guess that would definitely have something to do with it I always have heard that damp-off fungus can be a problem, how true is that?

I made a special trip out to a public restroom for paper towels (I checked four places before I confirmed the grocery store had brown paper towels, and I don't even know if color matters). But after rereading this thread, I'm thinking maybe I should use rinsed and chopped up LFS in a baggie.

If I do go the paper towel route, do I just put them on the paper towel, fold the paper towel up around it, wet it, fridge it with no baggie(??), and open it up and fight the seeds to get off a wet paper towel after 4 weeks?

And in a baggie with chopped up LFS, I guess you sprinkle the seeds in, wet it, fridge it, and then spread the LFS on the tops of your pots like a paste.

Is 1:1 peat:sand good for sarrs? I have some left over from my sundew sowing today.

I haven't tried using paper towels before, but what I did for LFS in a baggie is that I wet the LFS, and then squeezed off some of the water so that it's damp/moist and not wet. I put the seed in first at the bottom, and then put the LFS inside. And yes, then just spread out the LFS like a paste. Careful not to use too much LFS. And yes, 1:1 peat and sand is good for Sarrs.

If I do go the paper towel route, do I just put them on the paper towel, fold the paper towel up around it, wet it, fridge it with no baggie(??), and open it up and fight the seeds to get off a wet paper towel after 4 weeks?

I use the paper towel method every year with great results. Just fold an ordinary sheet of white paper towel until it will fit inside a “snack size” Ziploc baggie. Spray it with distilled water until it’s damp but not dripping wet. Open up the center fold an lay it flat to sprinkle the seeds on it. Fold it back up and slip it into the baggie. Mark it and date it and just wait 4-5 weeks. These seeds below are almost ready to sow as they went in the fridge on 2/25.

1002567718x800.jpg

So, I just sowed my seeds. I saw mold. When I decided it was probably mold, I tried to pick out where I thought I saw it. If I already have them in pots under saran (for humidity until germination), should I go to Lowe's and get something to spray on the LFS that has the seeds? I stratified them mixed in with LFS, which was rinsed. Then I filled pots with peat/sand up to about 3/4" of an inch down from the top. I spread the LFS/seed combo on them, and put saran on top of the pots.

You can try spraying them with (cool) camomile tea which is a common household remedy for modl/fungus/damp off on seeds. It turns out that camomile tea is high in sulfur so you might just use a sulfur based fungicide.

People will tell you to use Neem Oil but Neem disrupts cellular division as some antibiotics do which might not be a good thing for germinating seeds.

So, I'm down to one and even then, it seems to be on the brink of death. What I assumed happened was that when I put it outside, everything was fine. But no. My dad pressure washed his grill area and hit my pot, one disappeared and the last one seems to be slowly dying. Whenever I put them outside, something ALWAYS as to happen.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUU-

I always find that mouldy seed is dead anyway.

I'd say that's true 9.9 times out of ten from my experience too.

But hope springs eternal.

I just sprinkle in a small pot, put in fridge for 4-6 wks and have 90% germination.
the mold and other stuff disappears after the pot is put into direct sun.
I had most of my S. seedlings die from other plant sitters. They dried out badly.
can't save them alll???

Back