What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cephalotus Mound?

elsantaclause

A windowsill grower
Well I just got my cephalotus 3 days ago and I read a lot of posts about making a mound. So I tried it

Is this the right way?

DSC02180.jpg

DSC02182.jpg

Also some of the pitchers are drying up and the stem is turning brown but others are still green but they all have closed traps. Is this normal a acclimatization process? It is currently growing on my window that gets around 80-85 degrees in the afternoon to about 75 degrees at night. Daytime Humidity is around 60% and nighttime humidity is around 70-80%. Window is always open

DSC02181.jpg

DSC02184.jpg

The plant looks fine and you should expect some minor loss of leaves transplanting, especially after handling by the USPS. No problem there. As far as the Tb is concerned, it should probably be fine, though it seems a bit warm at night. Don't let it dry out . . .

The whole idea of the mound was to avoid water striking the plant directly and perhaps promoting crown rot. My plants sit outside when it rains. Go figure. If the tray method is used, it is unnecessary but it does keep the plant elevated.

The whole idea of the mound was to avoid water striking the plant directly and perhaps promoting crown rot. My plants sit outside when it rains. Go figure. If the tray method is used, it is unnecessary but it does keep the plant elevated.

Another part of it is the fact that it makes it easier for runners to break the surface. This way any runners that grow wont hit the edge of the pot, then grow straight up and lead to cramping.

When I mound a ceph I normally don't make a small hill like that in the middle, but rather just have the media slope downward out from the plant. With your mound, I'd be worried that the media around the plant would dry up easily.

well i tried to slope the soil, is this better?

DSC02185.jpg

your daytime humidity is a little lower than that... or at least the last 3 days or so... averaging mid 40's to mid 50's so hopefully your relative humidity is a bit higher... but with acclimitization going down hopefully it'll adjust appropriately

yea I hope it does, I really like this plant. I can't wait until it settles down and starts producing pitchers =)

I just ordered a Cephalotus and I'm wondering if I should do this. What are the benefits?

Ideally, this is what is being described.

The benefits are also as described:
  • more drainage and less collected water around cenrtal roots; and,
  • runners more easily "escape" and form plantlets.

xvart.

Ideally, this is what is being described.

The benefits are also as described:
  • more drainage and less collected water around cenrtal roots; and,
  • runners more easily "escape" and form plantlets.

xvart.

Ok, thanks.

My Cephalotus arrives in about a week, so I'll look forward to doing that.

Back