What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Judith Hindle - Pest or Natural?

I have had this Judith Hindle for over a month now. It sits outside where it gets just about allday sun.
When I first bought it there was only one pitcher on it and now there is a total of 5 pitchers on it.
The oldest pitcher is starting to look rough. Is it just naturaly dieing off or is there a pest eating on it?
All of the rest of the pitchers on the plant look fine.

Here is some pictures, what do you guys think?

1000935nk3.jpg

1000934ka7.jpg

paste7620081ku8.jpg
paste7620080tv4.jpg

I bet if you look down in there (the trap itself) , you'll see honeybees. The same thing happens to our plants because our neighbour a few doors down is a beekeeper. The sugar in the bees burns the traps and turns them brown. It doesn't hurt the plant it's just unsightly.

I just looked in the trap and WOW it is full to the top with bugs. The top of the pile of bugs is flys, I can't tell whats under them but there could be bees in there because they are all over our garden this year.

Just a bit of 'indigestion'. Nothing to worry about. Your plant is fine.

Will this always happen when a honeybee gets caught? Also, are honeybees those huge fat fuzzy bees?

For the most part, yes if honeybees are caught the traps will turn brown. If you want to stop it, you could try putting cotton balls in the mouth of the trap. And the large fuzzy bees are bumble bees.

honey bees have sacs where they keep pollen on their legs....so they have big fat legs also

But then so do bumblebees!

Back