What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Okee giants

ikey

they don't HAVE to kill, it's just too many bugs.
hello, this is my first post, I've been wanting to add a S. minor 'okee giant' to my collection since I saw it on a 1986 documentary called "realm of the alligator" about the Okefenokee swamp, and I've noticed differences between pics of 'okee giants', like the ones in the film have an "overhang" of the hood which I like, but other pics I've searched online look like a regular 'Minor' so, are there subspecies? or is it cause they're pitchers from mature plants, or maybe higher humidity etc., I'd like to attach some pics from the film that I have on my computer to show the "overhang" of the hood, if possible,
Isaac

Well you've come to the right place as Andrew sells these in his online store at FlyTrapShop.com

S. minor has not been divided into subspecies but "Okee Giant" is considered by some a variety: Sarracenia minor var. okefenokeensis.

A good place for photo searches is BobZ's Carnivorous Plant Photo Finder:

http://www.humboldt.edu/~rrz7001/

Do not repost or direct link to photos found there, post only the link.

Welcome to TerraForums.

thanks for the welcome, the pic of the okee giant that Andrew has looks like the regular Minor, I still haven't seen any pics with the overhang I'm talking about, I'm gonna try to post some pics from the film to show, thanks
Isaac

There is no single "Oke Giant". Plants from Okefenokee are tall and thin and there are many individual clones. Some have more overhanging hoods than others.

Normal S. minors are the short ones on the left. The okeefenokeesis plants are on the right:

9.jpg

Holy crap! Look at all of those gorgeous plants! I haven't seen that many minors since...well, there's a Michael Jackson joke in there somewhere but I'm just not in the mood to go and find it.

Anyway, I love the pic.

Welcome ikey. The S minor is my favorite of my collection but I only have an ordinary one. Good luck in your quest.

Moved to Sarracenia forum. And, beautiful collection, Alexis.

xvart.

Hi, Alexis, yes the one in the extreme lower right with redder coloration, is closer to the ones I saw in the film, which have even more overhang, so what makes the more pronounced overhangs in some pitchers? just natural variations I guess, I hope Andrew's look that nice when he has some ready, thanks!

Yep, just natural variation.

Those plants are from Mike King's open day. I just have a single minor and a single Oke Giant!

Hello, please note the two minor plants in my store are actually the same picture ;) I happened to have a picture of typical minor, and just haven't gotten to getting a different picture for the okee.... Mainly since they are so similar :) It's hard to match the Sarracenia beauty of Mike King! But I try ;) hehe I actually have a lot of okee in the green house right now, but they just came in the last couple months so the pitchers are a little damaged from shipping and acclimation to my greenhouse. That's why they're not up for sale yet.
Andrew

thanks Andrew, I'll keep an eye out to when you put them up to ship them,
here are some pics from the video "realm of the alligator" notice that the 'overhang' gives the pitcher kinda like a ducks head appearance and looking from above like a heart shape, if all the pitchers came out like this it'd definately stand out from a basic Minor look,

Image001-1.jpg

Image003.jpg

seems like they vary a lot!, different looking pitchers from the same plant, and not from changing growing conditions like heat, humidity, or light intensity, which would make the pitchers predictable.

I saw the date, but will the shop restock them for sale soon?

Back