What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarr L.

I have some Sarrencia Leu... way to long to spell...

Anyways got them a few weeks ago, my first plant ever.

Been doing everything right apparently, it only had two pitchers, now it has two pitchers still but one that just opened like a couple of hours ago, and another one that is growing and growing and growing it's REALLY tall.

Not a lot of pitchers I guess the plant is still kind of young, but let me tell you, the color and the way the pitchers look... AMAZING. I mean perfect.

I'll try to get some pictures soon.

Oh also, quick question, I noticed the two grown ones produce a kind of sticky liquid, is that just the nectar?

Also, how come they smell so darn good? I mean they actually smell really good.

Awwww...
I remember when I got my first Sarr.
It was only last year, but it seems like so long ago...
Is this your first CP?

I sent you a PM with some friendly CP growers advice :)

Yes, the sticky stuff is nectar. The goal is to trap insects thus the nectar and scent.

There are nectar glands on the underside of the operculum (hood/lid), the peristome (lip) and along the edge of the ala (the "keel" running up the length of the tube). Most of the glands are concentrated on the peristome.

S. leucophylla grows it's pitchers during the spring and fall taking a little time off during the summer. The fall growth tends to be spectacular.

Welcome to TerraForums.

Feel free to taste the nectar! It's sweet!

It's crazy how fast these things grow, the pitcher that just opened, since I made this post you know the kind of bump thing on the plant, I don't know what to call it but it's in the middle of the plant on the bowl part... Well it was off to the side a few hours ago, now it's in the middle part where it should be and the flap formed a little more too.

I wish I could find a working digital camera.

Back