What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

a few pics

Here are some pics of my sarrs. Both came from deathcubes & have recovered nicely.

S. Rubra (This one started putting out juvenile pitchers from the transplant shock.)

untitled.jpg

S. 'Judith Hindle'

judithhindle.jpg

A little something else here. Found it crawling around the building at work. Anyone know what type of beetle this is?

beetle2.jpg

To give you an idea of the size...

beetle1.jpg

Later,
Jay

I will bet 3.50 that you got those plants from Lowes. Correct?

OMG that is one big bug... i hope it didnt eat you

Yep, the plants came from Lowes. And no the beetle didn't eat me:-)). I let it go right after I took the pics.

Holy cow! Where do you live? The Amazon?!! Ewwww!

Really nice plants though. :)

No Suzanne, you must embrace that lovely creature for the beautiful beast that it is. Musn't fear. It's a vegetarian...looks to be a member of the dung beetle or scarab family. Most likely feeds on rotted wood. It looks like something I would put on my sister's neck when she wasn't looking, LOL!!! Mean ain't I?? Very nice indeed. Now...if that was a SPIDER!!!

It is one of the N. American scarabs. A rhino beetle, possibly D. tityus... Also called a Hercules beetle.

ugh, if that was a spider i would have died the moment it touched me.

female rhino beetle :) i found a male a few weeks ago. did it have a smell? the one i caught did. HORRID!! haha nice plants and nice beetle!

Nice coloration coming along on those sarrs. Mrs. Coleoptera is very showy, too! =)

I too bought two Sarracenias from Lowes. Your's are doing beautifully. I bought Sarracenia rubra and purpurea. They are both making new growths but the growths are very small. Is there cause to worry? That is a nice beetle. I don't think I could have picked it up but I pick up hermit crabs all the time. I guess it's just what you're used too. Hope you all don't mind if I pose a question in this thread.

I wouldn't worry. If you take a plant & take it from conditions that are the opposite of what they need & then put them outside there is going to be some shock. My rubra had pitchers about 6" long in the deathcube & the biggest one it has now is about 3". Just give it some time & it will come back better then ever.

Back