What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Seedlings!

NeciFiX

Kung Fu Fighting!
Yay!

I have some seedlings, had some for awhile but one has now made a super mini pitcher. Woohoo! I got a cross between S. minor 'okefenokeensis giant' x '?' before the car accident, so, at least part of my old collection lives on through seed.

I didn't get too high of a germination rate considering the seed was in a dark corner, under some stuff for eight months, but, I stratified nonetheless and am surprised I got anything at all! They're doing good. I take a water bottle and very lightly trickle water into the soil. Sometimes some perlite carries down but doesn't squish the little seedlings. My mom broke my water misters by using them on her hair [-_-] so, I have to do with this. It's working well. I just watered two seconds before the picture, hence the mucky conditions. It's also a tad blurry too, sorry!

img0096bi5.jpg

Any tips? =D. They'll probably go dormant this December or whatever, the windowsill gets 35-60 F [the former is brief and the plants don't develop frost, only the windowsill] and light levels go down. They'll be fine, it's how God inten'd it! :D.

I've heard that with seedlings like that you can defy God for a year or two and grow them constantly under lights. Eventually you have to give them dormancy of course, but that's what I've heard. I'll leave it to a more experienced member to confirm or deny that though....

Yeah I heard that too, but if they do it in nature then it would probably be good to give them dormancy.

Congrats on the seeds :D. You can probably let them have dormancy or do what's listed above.

I can say that I am currently doing the miss the first dormancy method, and it seems to work well. If only I could figure how to get pictures posted I could show you what 18 months of growth under lights looks like, though there are posts around with some nice examples. I just put them outside so they can naturally slip into the first dormancy instead of me pulling a fridge maneuver.

Its just my preference, but I find growing from seeds very entertaining, good luck with those.

Yeah, if I were you, I'd skip the first dormancy and wait until they get bigger. Small plants are more easily damaged from the cold weather extremes.

Large sarrs here take the weather just fine. Small sarrs I've had get damaged if I don't give them extra attention.

Have fun!

Back