What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pot Color

I might as well use this as an opportunity to introduce myself.
Hello my name is Greg and I live in Texas. I'm also fairly new to carnivorous plants.

Anyways, I have a sarrencia purpera (purple pitcher) I need to pot, and am wondering about the pot color, which is black, will have an effect on the plant? Due to the pots color would it make it too hot and possibly damage the plant? This question may seem foolish, but I tend to worry about minor stuff like this lol.
Thanks =)

Once again hello to everyone.

Welcome. If the pot is black then it would absorb light or something, and if it's white it reflects it. Lucky, I can't find any S. Purpurea lol.

Hi, Greg! Welcome to TF! Sarracenias like heat, so pot color might not really matter. If you want to use a different colored pot, you can just incase. I have very dark green pots for my Sarracenias and they don't seem to be affected by it. Do you know if it is S. purpureas ssp purpurea or S. purpurea ssp venosa?

Its Sarracenia purpurea, yeah thats me being lazy and not wanting to look it up. Thanks for the answers btw. I was just concerned that it might overheat the soil.

Thanks again.

Oh this is kind of a side question, but are clay pots bad for carnivorous plants because of the salts, and if it's bad is it life threatening and worth a re-pot.

I'm not sure about that. I've never used clay pots. It probably won't overheat because my Sarracenias ar in heat in the 90s and being waterlogged, the soil is never hot.

yes they're bad.

all you'd really have to do is line the clay pot with plastic and poke a hole in the bottom...but that's just if you don't want to buy a plastic pot. i wouldn't reccommend using the tray method if you're using a clay pot, though. i'd only top water.

but yeah, if you live in a very hot climate, you should probably look for pots that are a little lighter-like tan or white. color shouldn't affect growth at all unless it gets above 90s

i just use plastic pots...imo plastic pots are better, they dont leak salt and other minerals that your typical unglazed terracotta will, but you can always line it with plastic like they said. Most of my Sarrs are in minibogs, but ive got a few others in pots, just a round or square dark green pot is what most people use. cheap and easy to find. Dont worry about overheating the sarr since it gets in the low hundreds in some of their natural habitats, just keep em good and wet during summer, and damp in the winter during dormancy.

true about the plastic, but how are you gonna use the tray method?

I have a glazed clay water tray, and it's all glazed and smooth on the inside. I guess if a clay pot was all glazed then you might be able to use it.

Colour of the pot has no effect on the plant.

Any colour will do.

Most of them are black, dark green or terracotta coloured.

Back