What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need to Kill Scales

obregon562

Two flies one pitcher. Minus the crap eating.
Supporter
Hey guys.

I've had a recent infestation of scale bugs. I need to kill them, and id prefer to use a bio-control method, but im open to pesticides. Would orthene work? are their any brand name versions of it? Im using ______ on my S. oreophila, alabamensis, and jonesii's so i need to make sure the plants are not killed, and preferably not injured, with whatever i use.

Thanks so much! Anything helps!
Frankie

Hey guys.

I've had a recent infestation of scale bugs. I need to kill them, and id prefer to use a bio-control method, but im open to pesticides. Would orthene work? are their any brand name versions of it? Im using ______ on my S. oreophila, alabamensis, and jonesii's so i need to make sure the plants are not killed, and preferably not injured, with whatever i use.

Thanks so much! Anything helps!
Frankie

I would go the Orthene route. I have had similar experiences and the plants were unharmed. It is not an herbicide after all . . .

orthene? ok cool. Thanks!

You can use Neem oil, systemic (Acephate or Imidacloprid) or contact insecticides (organophosphates like Malathion or pyrethrin). Systemics are most effective against the adults, contacts against the juvenile crawlers. Use Malathion with caution as Peter D'Amato had a recent bad experience with it. Try a dual action spray (system + contact).

Biological controls consist of lacewings, ladybugs, mites and parasitic wasps.

You can also use a growth inhibitor such as Enstar II which will only effect the target insects.

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7408.html

good ol' ortho orthenex. systemic pesticide and disease control.

I'm curious where you guys found this Orthene at. I've been all over the local area and can't track this down. From nurseries to hardware stores - no one has it.

I like Merit, if I am not mistaken it is Imidacloprid. It is safe for indoor use and is the same stuff used in frontline for dogs and cats. It works for killing mosquito larvae in standing water too at appropriate concentrations.

I prefer Imidacloprid myself. It's based on nicotine which for years was used as an insect repellent. May as well get some positive benefit from tobacco. Plus it doesn't encourage algae growth as organo-phosphates like Acephate.

Bayer Advanced uses Imidacloprid. Look for the dark blue bottles.

Back