What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wasp World (lots and lots of photos)

• Thread starter Pyro
  • Start date
  • Tags
    bog

Pyro

N=R* fs fp ne fl fi fc L
And since I had the camera outside I took some shots of the wasps busy in the bog

P8040023.jpg

P8040024.jpg

P8040025.jpg

P8040026.jpg

P8040027.jpg

P8040028.jpg

P8040038.jpg

P8040037.jpg

P8040039.jpg

P8040034.jpg

P8040033.jpg

P8040029.jpg

P8040030.jpg

P8040031.jpg

P8040035.jpg

P8040036.jpg

And not a wasp but a silly little mozzie trying to find herself a blood meal

P8040032.jpg

See her??

How about now?

P8040032_2.jpg

I was hoping to see a lot more different kinds of wasps.

What's those funny looking plants it's on? :-))

I really like the contrast for on the plant Niki quoted. What is that?

xvart.

this is me..., "okay i'm going to take picture of the wasp outside my house now, camera ready....... *sting* *sob sob* MOMMYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!:-( "

Hey X,

The plant in that shot is 'Dana's Delight'

@Est

These are the only wasps really interested in the Sarrs and I would almost bet the cricket killers are there pilfering...

Nice pics Pyro.

Any photos of the wasps in the pitchers??

I have the exact same thing going, on the porch. They land, go in a bit, and then fly away. I've never seen what slip into the plant.

Fantastic shots! I must admit I like to sit on the patio next to my plants and watch those stupid wasps get themselves swallowed up. "'Bzzzt! Bzztt!" Outsmarted by a plant.

Why do they like the Sarrs?

haha I get a small amount of satisfaction when I hear wasp or bee buzzing stuck in a nice sarr I'm always afraid its going to get out and find me laughing and come sting the crap outta me though... so I laugh from a distance now haha

dont want to shake the sarr and knock it lose :) haha

Sorry to hijack the thread but seeing all the sceliphron I wanted to post this.
<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i141.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid141.photobucket.com/albums/r62/hive_man/carnivores/Wasp/MVI_0861.flv">
I now feel bad because I read online some and they are non aggressive and docile in nature they like nectar and typically one species preys on one type or a group of insects. The ones we have here like jumping spiders.

Sorry to hijack the thread but seeing all the sceliphron I wanted to post this.
<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i141.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid141.photobucket.com/albums/r62/hive_man/carnivores/Wasp/MVI_0861.flv">
I now feel bad because I read online some and they are non aggressive and docile in nature they like nectar and typically one species preys on one type or a group of insects. The ones we have here like jumping spiders.

AWW!!!!! i thought it was gonna come out and sting him.

Very nice! The 'Dana's Delight' sure is something!

Docile is a relative term... If left alone they will leave you alone but I have been tagged by the thread waist in my days for what I would call a minor transgression (it was sitting on my soda can and I had the audacity to pick the can up...)

The other day I was admiring my Sarrs with the neighbors, and noticed a bee was head first and struggling down there. One of them went "Awww, poor bee! You know they're disappearing?" So I stuck a piece of straw down there for it to grab on to and rescued it. Felt like a hero. ;)

My Sarrs mostly feed on yellowjackets and flies, neither of which I am fond of, and they eat very well.

Back