What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarrencia Leaning

Alright my Sarr is doing good, I've been leaving it outside which it seems to like because it's growing pretty fast, the thing I'm concerned with though is one of the pitchers is leaning big time and I see pictures of Sarrs all tightly together all neat and everything, while mine is wild and not so much near each other.

Is that alright.

One more thing, There was water in one of the pitchers, the leaning on, I pick it up and it all fell out, but the thing I'm concerned with is the water could be sprinkler water, we have a sprinkler system, but the thing is the plant is high up off the grown off the deck so maybe not?

Leaning is a sign that they aren't getting enough light. If you moved them outside recently, give it a little time and their condition will probably improve. It might take a whole season. Planting in larger containers can help some, too, but again you have to give them time to grow and get healthy. Don't worry about what's in the pitchers unless they're growing severely deformed or have big holes chewed in them (in which case you probably have some insect pests.)
~Joe

If a pitcher has turned all floppy it could mean that your plant needs more light. It also depends on what plant you have. A purpurea will have pitchers that lean on the ground and collect water.

It's a Sarr, but one more thing.

All the sudden like over night there seems to be AT LEAST 5 sundews in the pot, needless to say I'm thrilled.

How do I go about removing them and replanting them?

Should I just get one big pot and make a sundew farm or what?

Depends on your taste. But if they are a tropical sundew or a binata you should remove it because a binata would crowd out all other plants and a tropical sundew would die during dormancy.

Well, I'm going to have to say that might be normal. My S. leuco is in Florida sun, all day long, and it sometimes produces pitchers that lean or grow vertically. If it's S. alata, mine almost always capsizes when it produces a pitcher (its rhizome is about half way of the ground so the base of the pitchers don't have support of the soil).

If they just appeared out of nowhere, they might be seedlings. I wouldn't mess with them if they are, not until they're a good size.

Edit: Also, if it's only one pitcher, I wouldn't worry.

I've found that some plants are just prone to producing very weak/floppy/small pitchers, regardless of the ideal conditions I provide them.

As for your new found sundews, you could repot them to somewhere indoors if they're tropical, but if they're rotundifolia (likely), leave them because they're temperate. ;)

If the plant doesn't have enough water even straight up healthy pitchers of a plant grown in full sunlight all day long will flop over. Sometimes you can get them straight again if you stake the pitchers and water the plant. If not leave them staked.

Nobody's mentioned the fact that come August, new growth will push the old pitchers to the side.

All the nice photos you see of them in the wild are often takend during the first half of the growing season. They start to look a bit tatty later on.

I have pitchers falling over all over the place, which is perfecly normal at this time of year.

I have a real problem with pitchers leaning over, even snapping in half, mostly on my taller ones (leucophyllia - I'm looking at you *cough*). But it's windy here, really windy, non stop day and night. We live up on a hillside, right at the bottom of a mountain, and during the day we get a warm valley breeze blowing uphill, and at night a cool mountain breeze blowing downhill. I've had to stake and tie the taller pitchers. It's the only thing I could do. So don't worry, sometimes it's necessary.

Older pitchers will naturally bend over..happens all the time..
even in the wild..

mine often bend over due to the weight of the bugs they contain..
and yes, wind is a big factor..often the wind will bend over a pitcher, and it doesnt have the strength to bend itself upright again..I tie up quite a few pitchers every summer to bamboo supports.

assuming light is good, bending is natural.

Scot

Yeah my guess is indeed wind, for tall growing Sarracenia like Flava and leucophylla especially, My S. Flava has 4 or 5 pitchers that that have bent because of wind, brand new, newly opened pitchers, and some are not even opened, we have had some pretty strange weather over the last week

Even without a breath of wind, pitchers will eventually lean as new growth on the rhizome pushes over older pitchers.

Back