What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just observed my Sarr. trap a fly

I just observed a green fly actually tumble into the pitcher of a Sarr. leuko. Tarnok. While checking out my mini-bogs, I noticed a green fly lapping nectar under the edge of a hood of a pitcher. It continued moving under the hood until it was centered, and then just fell into the pitcher. I was surprised that the fly totally ignored me, and also that while falling into the pitcher it did not try to fly away. I have read that some believe Sarrs to produce a narcotic compound in the nectar. The fly did appear somewhat unresponsive. After months of observing both flies and wasps in my plants, this is the first one I've actually observed falling into the pitcher :banana2: .

nice, ive seen many of flies fall victim to my Sarras. however, i have just recently viewed my Darlingtonia catching its food, it was....suspenseful, watching the fly walk up the pitcher, then stick its head in the hood, walk back out, then walk back in, and then it fell....xD

Back