What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

a month of growth in my Darlingtonias

Freaking insane, they are probably my fastest growing CP. Mountain Variety
when i got them 7-13-08
TriptoRons5.jpg

Today 8-18-08
outsideplants8-18-08002.jpg

Wow, nice plants. Your lucky you live in a place that can support them.

LOL! It sure doesn't hurt that he's living in cobra lily country!

I'm wondering how far apart a cobra lily shoot can pop up from the parent plant. 2" to the left of this plant (Scarlett Belle), I found a young cobra lily plant.

Picture159.jpg

Now that's 8.5" to the right of the parent cobra lily:

DSCF1547.jpg

The planter, for perspective:

DSCF1532.jpg

Mr. Truncata: Where on the Island are you? I grew up in Huntington.

Freaking insane, they are probably my fastest growing CP.

Yeah, my Darlingtonia grow like weeds in Northern California too -- something about those nights in the fifties and all that fog. Go figure.

The smaller rosettes around one of my younger plants are the product of stolons circling the terra cotta pot several times in the last few months . . .

Darlingtonia.jpg
DC-1.jpg

yeah ive got tons of plants popping up from stolons now >_< lol i think i need to repot!

yeah ive got tons of plants popping up from stolons now >_< lol i think i need to repot!

You can probably wait a bit but I would go with unglazed terracotta when you do manage to replant. There is a lot to be said for a pot that "breathes" a bit, especially with Darlingtonia. I definitely believe in building in that six-lane margin of error. My older Heliamphora get replanted in clay pots for that same reason . . .

haha yeah i was considering a larger Terracotta pot. uhg i want to get some Heliamphora now that my rack is set up...i love Helis

But how far apart can a shoot appear? Is 8.5" away realistic?

id imagine a couple feet....since they like to wrap around the bottom of the pots a few times before they shoot up

But how far apart can a shoot appear? Is 8.5" away realistic?

I have had Darlingtonia in two-foot terra cotta planters in the past and stolons have appeared at either end of the pot, well in excess of ten inches -- as far from the main plant as you can get (circling perhaps three times) without heading out drainage holes. That too can occur . . .

Beautiful plants. I so wish I could grow these.

Beautiful plants. I so wish I could grow these.

Hey, Darlingtonia are far simpler -- and tougher -- than most people would have you believe. I have a friend in Phoenix and another in Taos who now grow them outside beautifully and in heat well over 100˚ during the summer. Just give them a nice large terra cotta pot with lots of live sphagnum moss, perlite, and pumice, sit them in a tub of cold water to keep all of the important stuff cool, and provide some shade. They'll grow like weeds. There you go . . .

I have seen huge stands of them in Northern California and Oregon -- and in some infernal 110˚ summer heat . . .

They say that correlation need not be causality but every single TC plant that I have purchased from a "Lowes cube of death" has died, one way or another. They just seem to be weak. But last year I received a plant from a hobbyist collection in the PAC NW. That plant went through dormancy and produced a flower this spring. It's the same plant that produced this stolon.

I would think that the marginal water quality and, primarily, the poor choice of compost have more to blame than the fact that the plants are tissue-cultured. Virtually every plant you see at Lowe's and Home Depot or anywhere else is the product of TC -- and, on the whole, seem quite healthy . . .

Should you attempt another "Lowe's Rescue," I'd immediately bare-root those plants and change the soil to something more appropriate . . .

How long do the stolons get? Many feet is what I've read. How many is many feet? I dunno.

Let's do some basic goemetry/math
Circumference = diameter x pi

C = d x π

So let's say a mature plant in an 8 inch pot and the stolons make four laps inside the pot.

C = (8 x 4) x π = 100.5310 inches or 8.3776 feet

Of course this is only a rough calculation that doesn't take into account three dimensional factors such as the pot tapering or the thickness of the stolons.

How long do the stolons get? Many feet is what I've read. How many is many feet? I dunno.

Let's do some basic goemetry/math
Circumference = diameter x pi

C = d x π

So let's say a mature plant in an 8 inch pot and the stolons make four laps inside the pot.

C = (8 x 4) x π = 100.5310 inches or 8.3776 feet

Of course this is only a rough calculation that doesn't take into account three dimensional factors such as the pot tapering or the thickness of the stolons.

There is an image in the McPherson book, Pitcher Plants of the Americas, which shows a large stand of Darlingtonia in the field -- all the product of stolons of a single plant, so suggests the author. It appears to be yards across and the stolons have been known to grow above ground as well . . .

Back