What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Basic Sarrencia Care

NaRnAr

Ive got Crabs!
I had found one at a local nursery a couple weeks ago, and its doing great. Im just having trouble finding basic care instructions, so I have a few questions:

1. Can I plant it in the same container as a VFT and a sundew (I cant remember its full name, starts with an "a", its got long leaves with dew on the full length)?? (ive seen them with VFTs just not with sundews in pics here)
2. Can I use the 1:1 peat: perlite in said container?
3. If I can have all in the same container, can they all/should they all go dormant together or will I need to separate them?

I just want to make sure they are compatible together in way of soil and such.

They are spending their first day outside today (they are separate right now of course ;) )

Thank for you help in advance!

adelae?
yeah, you can put it in the same container as a VFT. the sundew is, i think, a tropical so maybe and maybe not.

2. yeah you can
3. VFT and Sarracenia can go dormant, dont think so for the sundew, unless its temperate sundew...

Yea, thats it, its an adelea. :)

Alright, so I will plant just the VFT and the Sar together. Ill have to go locate some substrate that is fert. free.

(the sundew is new too, I got it the same day, its been living inside in the kitchen eating some fruit flies that made their way in *ugh)

1:1 peat; perlite is fine.

VFTs and Sarrs grow very well together. However, Adelae probably will not appreciate the same conditions. That dew is more suited to windowsill or fluorescent light in my opinion. Full sun will probably cause it to burn. One easy sundew that I have experienced good results with outside is D. Capensis. It grows in full sun in the same pot as my VFTs.

Jason

I will keep my sundew inside then, Ive got a window where I can keep it in the kitchen. :)

Welcome to TF! Nothing noteworthy to the advice given.

Thanks for you help, I truely appreciate it. I love these little plants so much, they are just fabulous and something new to learn about...but sometimes I forget that it takes time to learn how to care for these new plants.

I went and got some substrate and the nursery still had a couple of the Sars left so I got another one. It says "Rubra". It looks pretty good, Ill be planting it with my other Sar and VFT..

If you want to grow sundews with your VFTs and/or Sarracenia you should look for temperate species that will share dormancy with them. Drosera intermedia, Drosera capillaris and Drosera rotundifolia are often found growing along side with VFTs or Sarracenia.

Given your location you will have to provide some sort of protection from cold weather during the winter.

Back