What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heliamphora watering problems . . .

I recently read in the Carnivorous Plant UK forum about the potential of killing off Heliamphora by irrigating them with too "cold" of water (what, rather than at room Tb?) -- and one grower attributed the death of several of his expensive plants to just that. This is the first that I've heard of any of this, and it seems to go against the very environmental conditions that these plants normally tolerate. Tropics or no tropics, I can tell you from experience, Venezuela is damn cold at high altitudes . . .

Has anyone heard anything about this? The guys in the UK seemed to think this was common knowledge, judging from the number of responses . . .

Venezuela is damn cold at high altitiudes . . .

Yes, it is. Idk what to tell you. it really is cold, but yet some people have killed theirs by cold water. That really is odd. But you should just keep watering yours the you've been doing it. Yours are really nice :).

Yes, it is. Idk what to tell you. it really is cold, but yet some people have killed theirs by cold water. That really is odd. But you should just keep watering yours the you've been doing it. Yours are really nice :).

Thanks for the kind words, but I almost did a spit-take with my coffee this morning -- reading that account at 0-dark-thirty and considering that my jugs of RO water are usually chilling down on the cement floor of the garage overnight; and the water is nowhere close to room Tb, far closer to the 10-15˚C range, if anything. You'd think the lowland Nepenthes, if any of them, would be far more sensitive to something like that . . .

Back