What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cutting Sarr Pitchers

For those of you who cut Sarracenia pitchers during dormancy, when do you usually cut the pitchers back? During the late fall, winter, or early spring?

I heard it's good to cut them right when the flower buds start to emerge. You want to get rid of them sometime late in dormancy.

Hey thanks for the answer. Wonder if everyone's doing the same thing. I've only ever seen plants with pitchers already cut. Never really heard when everyone does the cutting.

I do it in the early spring before they start flowering, that way you don't accidently cut the flowers off..... Around here thats roughly in the middle of march

By cutting off pitchers, do you mean brown or green tissue?

Brown, dead stuff should be trimmed off as it appears all year round.

If you're cutting off green stuff, you are removing material the plant wants to photosynthesise with. However, sarracenia benefit from burns, so a plant won't suffer if it's trimmed back completely every couple of years. If you trim it back every spring though, a weaker plant may grumble and never be able to perform at its best.

It's a balancing act. I trimmed all mine back this spring, but will be leaving everything green on next spring.

Back