What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cephalotus appreciation thread

i miss my ceph. they are one of my favorite plants. hope to have one again, the one i had was looking great the 9 months i had it.

well sooner or later i will get another , and will have to post pics here if i do.

Cephs in China
Sometimes I do think I might regret later on...that I will have to smash the pot in order to transplant the plants. :hitmyself:

ceph_ceramic1_plant.jpg

ceph_ceramic1_plant1.jpg

ceph_ceramic_plant.jpg

ceph_ceramic_plant1.jpg

Cephs in China
Sometimes I do think I might regret later on...that I will have to smash the pot in order to transplant the plants. :hitmyself:

ceph_ceramic1_plant.jpg

ceph_ceramic1_plant1.jpg

ceph_ceramic_plant.jpg

ceph_ceramic_plant1.jpg

My suggestion is to turn the pot upside down to get the plant out. It'll get dirty, but it's the only way to get it out without destroying the pot.

Very nice Cindy...

and the T5/Ceph observations could vary greatly kid... too many inter-related variables... but with all the other parameters the same, the T5 does not perform as well as my old lighting system when it comes to cephs.

However, I have yet to try moving them to a lower shelf... which I suspect would resolve the issue of photoinhibition with my particular setup

If you ask me would I stop using T5's, that's an easy question...no way!

But I do reinstall my T12's when Im going to be out of town, just to be safe.

Av

I guess I'll throw in my "appreciation" now.

CephHG-91608.jpg

xvart.

wow... my ceph have a long way before can look as good as yours. :cry:

Cephs in China

It looks like your Cephalotus there could do well in that rather attractive pot for years; and I've routinely grown many Cephalotus in pottery, and have had little issue in removing them on those rare occasions that I have. Simply loosen the compost around the edges of the pot with a knife and invert it into your hands.

Trust me that these plants are not made of spun glass . . .

CF--HGB.jpg

CF-Giant.jpg

I have a question. When is the best time to transplant my cephalotus?

Typically, repotting and divisions are taken at the earliest of the growing season -- just as the first flat "vegetative" leaves are forming in the Spring. I've done it at other times, usually via clumsy accident and there were never any real problems. Just handle things delicately.

Unless the Cephalotus is obviously root-bound, I would leave it in its pot for as long as possible . . .

Typically, repotting and divisions are taken at the earliest of the growing season -- just as the first flat "vegetative" leaves are forming in the Spring. I've done it at other times, usually via clumsy accident and there were never any real problems. Just handle things delicately.

Unless the Cephalotus is obviously root-bound, I would leave it in its pot for as long as possible . . .

Well, my pot is a little too big and I need to change out the soil because the peat moss I gave it had fertilizer in it (without my knowledge). I bought my peat moss from Lowes, and after several of my plant's health started declining, I looked at the website and found the peat is laced with fertilizer.

Not to mention the garden moss I applied to the top of the soil is becoming a pain because if it's too dry it starts growing fungus.

I just transplanted my Cephalotus into a slightly smaller pot with fresh soil (one part peat, 2 parts perlite, and a sprinkling of sand and lava rock)

I really hope it does okay.

I'll add:

My typical, growing in a north-west window............

Ceph001.jpg

I just transplanted my Cephalotus into a slightly smaller pot with fresh soil (one part peat, 2 parts perlite, and a sprinkling of sand and lava rock)

I really hope it does okay.

I am sure that it will be fine. These plants are not as remotely delicate as some would have you believe. I recently uprooted a large Cephalotus, wrapped it in long fiber sphagnum, and shipped it overseas. It went through the handling of DHL, customs and agricultural overseeing, and is now actively growing in Northern Italy.

It didn't even lose a leaf . . .

Nice Ceph, I love how it has a ghostly lining...or is that just me? xD

I just got my first Ceph today! I will post pictures this weekend when things calm.

I just got my first Ceph today! I will post pictures this weekend when things calm.

Congratulations! That will soon become the crown jewel of your collection

So here it is. I got it in the mail on Tuesday. Thanks Ron (RL7836)! :banana2:

Here is how it is doing on Saturday morning. I have been watering from the bottom via a tray. I watered the tray when it got here and let it go dry for a couple of days before watering again.

I know the pictures are not the best, but I am still learning how to get the macro shot.

So here is my Ceph that I got through the charity auction last week. The larger pitcher opened up and it is hungry. :-D:-D:-D :banana2:

I just opened yesterday, and today I noticed while taking pictures that it is full of liquid and has already caught a small gnat.

Is it normal for Cephs to have that much fluid? One of the older small pitchers seems to be browning. Since the plant seems to be doing well and opening the large pitcher, I didn't think I should be concerned yet. I hope I am right on this. I am already favoring this one in my collection.

I'm a little worried that my Cephalotus might be rotting because a pitcher leaf broke off today.

Back