What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

looking for some heliamphoras

Good sources? Just looking for some highland tropical year-round types. Do they take forever to grow from seed? I can't seem to find many through google, so I was wondering where I could get a few.

Well they are kind of hard to grow. Do you have high lighting, humiditiy, and cool conditions? If not I don't think helis are good for you

Well we are not supposed to list other carnivorous plant distributors. I would try google again and type in heliamphoras for sale you get a couple places.

lighting and humidity: terrarium(10gal) setup and grow-light, temp wise is stays cool around here year-sound, and our AC is ancient and unequal so there's always at least one room at the ideal temperature.

good start at least?

I wouldn't try them just yet.

i argree you shouldn't get somthing so expensive and hard to grow i tried my hand at them once and they rotted hehehehe :crazy:

but you get the idea,
Matt

figured so ;_;. I'll practice on some droseras as I had originally intended while my VFT is sleeping through winter.

Good sources? Just looking for some highland tropical year-round types. Do they take forever to grow from seed? I can't seem to find many through google, so I was wondering where I could get a few.

Heliamphora are all "highland tropical year-round types" and take a good long time to grow to size from seed (I don't even recall when last I saw seed available anywhere) -- and most on the market are the product of tissue culture. If you should like to grow them, I would begin with one of the naturally-occurring or man-made hybrids (H. nutans x minor, H. heterodoxa x nutans, H. nutans x ionasii, H. heterodoxa x ionasii, or Heliamaphora x "Tequila."), since they are far more tolerant of Tb fluctuations and other cultivation errors than the bulk of the species themselves -- and, as a rule, generally grow faster . . .

Most Heliamphora nowadays are distributed auf Deutschland (hint, hint) . . .

Occasionally they can be bid on at a certain very well known online auction site. Heliamphora are expensive though, a "tequila" division just went for around $75. Ouch!

I would suggest you start with a Cephalotus first to get experience before growing Heliamphora.

To my understanding, Heliamphora are the most difficult and slowest growing carnivorous plants.

To my understanding, Heliamphora are the most difficult and slowest growing carnivorous plants.

I wouldn't exactly say that. Yes, they probably can be difficult, but probably not the hardest. It depends on conditions. And it's probably not the slowest growing plant. They can divide like crazy.

But over all, it's probably best that you don't get one like everyone has recommended.

yeah, i suppose i actually have to get good at growing things in general XD.

I must cure my black thumb, I got part way when my Triops were killed by blue green algae, I'm not sure if that counts though.. eheh

I'll definitely be working toward it, they're beautiful plants. They almost grow in a sort of fractal way, the way they look when they really flourish.

Back