What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

S. purpurea how fast does it spread?

How fast does S. purpurea spread?
Just curious.

My Venosa makes only about 12 pitchers a year. Same with my seed grown purpurea purpurea.

My Purpurea Venosa "ABG Clone" makes maybe 5 pitchers a year. It's really slow.

i think he means how quickly does it spread in a pot with new growth pionts.

Depends on the subspecies and the individual. You could get a massive plant in 3 years with some clones. Some never really produce big clumps.

I have one purp that has not produced a new growth point in 10 years..
just the same single rosette year after year after year..

seem perfectly healthy, just doesnt "spread" at all..

Scot

Yes, that's what I meant.
Just trying to get an idea how many to put in my minibog.
Thanks folks!

Mine's really slow, but hardy and good-looking. :)

One of my purps. went from one to 4 rosettes in two years. But another of mine is still one rosette after two years.

i think he means how quickly does it spread in a pot with new growth pionts.

Oh. In that case maybe... 1 or 2 new points every year on my best clones and no new ones on my "ABG" variety.

Purpureas and psittacinas tend to grow more vertical than horizontal and will happily stay that way until they get some help. I've never tried this, so please don't take it as an endorsement: One member at the ICPS site mentioned that his purp had an accident that resulted in the bending and near-breaking of the rhizome. Upon re-planting the areas of stress started showing new growth. This theory is further supported by Peter D'Amato in his book - which suggests that you can notch the rhizome of a sarracenia to encourage a new growing point. Lastly, my own experience: Not with a purp but with an oreophilaxminor cross: Got dug up by raccoons, scratched, possibly bitten. I replanted it and this year the plant has twice as many growth points as it did before.
Again, don't take this as an endorsement to beat up your sarras - merely as observation.

Back