What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cephalotus Brown HELP!

I got a Cephalotus a few days ago it was outside getting warm days and cool nights. It started to turn brown, so I moved it to my grow tank where it is a little warmer and more humid. Does anyone know what I need to change?

Here is a picture.

I got a Cephalotus a few days ago it was outside getting warm days and cool nights. It started to turn brown, so I moved it to my grow tank where it is a little warmer and more humid. Does anyone know what I need to change?

Here is a picture.

Considering it is a small plant, it may simply have caught a bit too much sun and was burned a bit. Was it in direct sun or partially shaded? It is likely that the dealer who grew the Cephalotus had it in somewhat shadier conditions at that age. I would gradually intoduce it to the sun -- if that's what you desire -- and it still looks like there is new growth developing . . .

I wouldn't worry too much . . .

It was in shade. that's why I'm worried. would the pitchers be "crispy" if it was burnt- theyre soft and brown
I am just hoping that that one green pitcher stays that way and doesnt turn brown like the rest did almost overnight

Alec, it seems like root rot. If I were you I would remove all the dead pitchers to prevent further fungus infection and try to save the rhizome. Hopefully it is not too affected that you can try and get new plants from it.

I think the soil is too wet. I would let the soil dry out, move it to shade, and keep it in somewhat cooler temperatures.

If you see any winter leaves in there, pull them and attempt to propogate them.

IMG_4309.jpg

Hi Alec,

You mentioned that you just got the plant. It may have died back due to shock from shipping if it was shipped. If so, it may spring back to life in 3 - 4 weeks. That's happened to me a few times.

Or it may have gotten too hot. Some Cephs seem to take heat better than others.

Laura

I totally agree. My ceph died back to the roots when temps started hitting high 80's to 90F last year. However, at temps of 65F my ceph is just thriving now.

Since your plant is still new I would give it time to acclimatise to it's new environment and maybe keep the media on the drier side beacuse you are keeping it in a tank. Without proper air movement and a wetter media you'll be inviting root rot.

I got my baby cephs in July and kept them outside in the greenhouse. They've thrived even though the greenhouse regularly hit temps of 95f during the day but the key here was that our nights this summer have been unusually cooler going down into the high sixties/low seventies so the plants experienced a nice drop in temps at night which they really appreciated.

Thanks for all of the advice! If it comes back I post a pic.

Hi Alec,

You mentioned that you just got the plant. It may have died back due to shock from shipping if it was shipped. If so, it may spring back to life in 3 - 4 weeks. That's happened to me a few times.

Or it may have gotten too hot. Some Cephs seem to take heat better than others.

Laura

I agree with Laura. If you just got the plant, then its likely that it was shocked during shipment. I have both read and experienced this: It's not unusual for a ceph to lose all its leaves after being shipped.

Back