What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What the crap? Weed in Sarracenia pot

There has been a tiny green weed with two roundish-leaves at the top of the stalk growing all over in my S. "Dana's Delight" pot since I got it. I pulled them all today, but what can I do to keep it from returning?

i'm guessing its a clover. i'm also guessing that you're using Long Fibre Sphagnum as i almost always get these in my pots. i dont know what you can do to prevent them, as it just take one light pluck to take them out.

I only have long fibre sphagnum in my S. leucophylla plant as far as I know

Usually I just leave the suckers in there. You stop caring after a while :p.

They don't really do anything harmful.

-Ben

They're ugly. >:

Yeah, you might wanna get rid of it if it's a clover.

I'll take pics next time one pops up.

IS it oxalis? Horrible weed that appears some times in our orchid sphag.

Just pluck them when they get long enough. I'm constantly plucking sedgegrass from LFS and clover.

I don't bother pulling them out until they get big. I do however, pull them out immediately if they are growing right up against the plant.

Ha! I had wood sorrel (shamrock) growing in one of my Sarracenia pots. I let it grow because it was around Saint Patrick's Day and it was starting to flower. Ok, a few weeks afterwards it finally flowered and I decided to pull it out. The whole dirt ball and Sarracenia came up with it. Talk about extensive roots.

Never again. Any weeds get pulled out ASAP.

Put a layer of top dressing on it. It doesn't have to be sphagnum - it can be perlite, peat - or even decorative stones.

I'm just pulling them out as I find them, has become a part of my daily routine to look :)

unfortunately it is almost impossible to keep the weeds out. Plucking is you only fix. You should see my bog. The grass is crazy in it. I pluck it when I get time. easy to do when it is dormant too.

Back